oil leak?

T

twinkiex

Is it normal for small amounts of oil to pool on the head? It looks like pure clean oil, is this a possible gasket problem? My 48cc engine has less than 200 miles on it, still breaking in. Runs excellant and flawless.
I am on my 5th tank of gas. Is it acceptable for me to start riding it 10 miles each way to work or should I wait? Can I do if if I let it cool down for 20 minutes after 5 miles?

I had to edit this-maybe I spilled some gas when I filled up the tank today, the gas would dry up and the oil drops would pool right?

Last edited by a moderator:
no, you're fine. i started riding on 10+mile trips immediately. the trick is not to over-rev during break-in (anytime, really). you've already gotten that far, so let not your heart be troubled.
a small amount of clean oil may possibly be due to splillage...wouldn't worry about that, either.

I seem to get some on the top of my motor too. Usually I just don't have the spark plug on super tight. If it's too loose, you'll feel hot oil lightly stinging on your lower legs. LOL, experience speaks. I've heard not to overtighten the plug. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

oil on top of the head is usually from the plug
snug it up a little and see if it helps
it might take a couple tries

sounds like you are good to go for your commute
stopping after an hour running for 15-20 mins is about all you need

Last edited:
maybe a spill. it will kinda look clean after a spill dries.

no harm in checking the plug, tho...as finger tight as you can get it, then 1/4 turn more with the socket.

when i did my run down the coast, i did 25mph for an hour at a time. let it cool, get on down the road. i did that for 165 miles straight, without one single engine problem, or even a hint of one.

start riding to work any time you, and the bicycle, are ready.

Went the 10 miles to work. Only worked about 2 hours then our computer system crashed (JOY!) and got sent home with pay.
I am happy to say the bike and myself did great! I took a route with less traffic, peddled when I could and still have plenty of gas in the tank. It was much more fun than driving the car. Took me about 40 minutes. Keeping the rpms low and taking my time during the break in period. I find that when I am driving the car I am in a hurry but on the bike the ride is so fun I dont care how long it takes.

Back