12v lighting & safety system project-an MBc Community Effort

Here is the tail light setup on my bike. The construction has been used by others I'm sure, but I have not seen it posted as a system on this site.

First take a compression spring and install it on the rubber brake noodle. Use of the brake lever completes the ground circuit as the spring hits the other side of the brake, acting as a switch. This bike is equipped with V brakes. It could be used on C brakes but a rubber noodle may have to be added.

100_0698.jpg 100_0667.jpg

The systems uses a "N" battery holder: Radio Shack # 2700405 or equivalent
1 12 volt remote control (garage door opener) battery Radio Shack 2300336, perhaps called a 23A battery
1 LED Blazer 4" marker light yellow C12544A from Walmart or Menards

I prefer yellow over red. I do not want to appear as a motorcycle especially when cars are deciding to pass and what rules apply if they pass. Wild Bunch motor assisted bike riders do not have to obey DOT laws when it comes to lighting and may prefer to stay identified as a bicycle.

The lighting and battery are installed under the seat using insulated copper wire, nylon ties or wire ties. Others may prefer to install it behind a fender or to a carrier.

100_0665.jpg 100_0701.jpg

The light pictured is powered by a battery used after one summer season. Battery life does not appear to be an issue. The light seems bright enough to be seen in the daytime. There is no dim running light function used or available with this fixture. The system is simple and light in weight.

Back