White Wire Voltage - 20+ V ??

N

npk1977

Ok,

I finally got my bike running this past weekend! It's not as nice looking as my old bike, but at least I've got something :) Note, that the first paragraph that follows is the executive summary. The following paragraphs are at a more technical level.

CAVEAT: My spark plug may need to be tuned!

As promised, I measured the output voltage from the white wire, in the hopes of eventually designing and building a high-quality lighting system for these motorized bikes. The output voltage was something like 20V to 25V. When loaded with a 10kOhm resistor, and the motor died, implying that the motor can source less than 0.06 Watts! (This is why I'm guessing I need to tune my spark.)

The setup was as follows: I duct-taped a "ground" wire to my steering column. A 3' wire was connected to the black cable. Measurements were made between those two wires.

The output waveform was not a nice, beautiful looking, sinusoidal wave, but rather a very strange looking waveform. The positive swing looked half sinusoidal, but the downward swing shot off the bottom of my oscilloscope. Until I can photograph my oscilloscope, this is the best desc available :)

The white-wire output was connected to a diode bridge rectifier (DF005M) and a 0.1uF smoothing, electrolytic capacitor. Output was loaded with the 1MOhm voltmeter and a 10kOhm resistor. Bike would not start with the 10kOhm connected.

:confused::confused: i didnt get any of that...as far as i know, the white wire puts out 6 volts 3 watts. correct me if i'm wrong. possibly a transformer could bump up the voltage a little for your big light system thingy.

since i can tell you know something about electronics, i have a wheel based friction generator on my bike and i connected it to my rear light and my headlignt, the rear light has never blown but the headlight bulb always blows in a matter of minutes. i guess 30mph is too much electricity for it. i now have the white wire on my headlight. but, is there some type of resister that i could get to step down some of the electricity that its generating? tell me if there is please.

jon

See, I'm confused too. Everyone says the white wire pumps out 6V/3W. I'm not really sure what the heck is going on! I do hope to figure it out soon though :)

n

6v 3w

ya, figure it out. I am really bad at electrical things, and I need a light bad, so I can ride in Daytona. Please keep me posted really want lights I need a head light and a tail light and a brake light to ride in Daytona.

Whatever I come up with will be home-grown and kind of janky :) However, the hub lighting systems look like they are high quality, and will not blow up at high speeds:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/nexus.asp

I'm sure you can find a good place to order them for cheap online. (ie, not necessarily the link i sent.)

brake lights

I think I just solved my brake light problem
look on e-bay item #220135635600
Brake pads that light up when you put the brakes on.

They seem nice, but only 2 LEDs? Not sure how much light that will pump out. Also, what happens if you decide to use saddle bags?

Ok, who on this board has a voltmeter (or digital multimeter.) I'd like to mail you a little circuit for testing. You need to have

1) A mailing address
2) A multimeter/voltmeter/whatever you call it.
3) A Working, well tuned motored-bike
4) The willingness to mail the circuit back, and email me your results :)
5) I live in Santa Cruz, CA, so if you happen to live in town, even better.

I can't figure out what's going on with my bike, I'm getting enormous, 24V, voltages :)

The circuit is incredibly simple, consisting of three discrete components, a diode bridge, a capacitor and a resistor. It converts the variable output of the CDI into a nice, smooth, DC signal.

PM Me.

:confused::confused: i didnt get any of that...as far as i know, the white wire puts out 6 volts 3 watts. correct me if i'm wrong. possibly a transformer could bump up the voltage a little for your big light system thingy.

since i can tell you know something about electronics, i have a wheel based friction generator on my bike and i connected it to my rear light and my headlignt, the rear light has never blown but the headlight bulb always blows in a matter of minutes. i guess 30mph is too much electricity for it. i now have the white wire on my headlight. but, is there some type of resister that i could get to step down some of the electricity that its generating? tell me if there is please.

jon

you can use a resitor to give you a voltage drop but it will affect all speeds not just 30mph.

I measured the output voltage again, and now I think everything is well tuned... Again, Vout was in the high 20s. Does anyone have experience with this?

Back