Newbie from Albuquerque NM, 80cc chinese engine with mods

Q

quarkdude

Hello all,
I just stumbled across this website today and am very excited seeing how many motorized bikes are really out there. I ride mine to work almost everyday, ( a 20 mile round trip ). I have gotten my speed up to 36.4 mph. Definitely moves. I have done some mods to the stock engine to get more power out of it - Albuquerque, NM is 5200 feet above sea level so more power makes it a blast to ride. I started with changing the jetting for our altitude here. The stock jet was a little too rich for up here so I tried to locate an aftermarket jet - they pretty much don't exist. So I read about someone that used silver solder to solder closed the hole in the jet and then re-drilled it. I did this and with a little experimentation found what jet size worked the best. Turns out 0.028 is the magic number for my setup. Then I bought a plastic free flow air cleaner cover for more airflow. Bought the stainless steel intake mainfold for more flow. And lastly I read about taking the baffle out of the stock exhaust pipe and cutting it down to sort of mimic an expansion chamber exhaust. Really noticed a difference when I did that. Does get a bit louder when you do this. So all together all the mods get this bike up to about 35-36 mph with a 44 tooth rear sprocket. I'll post some pictures of it in the gallery. It is a black 1995 Diamond Back mountain bike with a black gas tank.
......................Bill, from Albuquerque

Thanks LocoWelder

Can't wait to put some pictures up of the bike. I'll try tomorrow

I banged into that reality climbing up to Denver and the altitude didn't turn me loose until dropping back under 3,000 feet south of the Oklapanhandle....

When you get pixability, you could demonstrate that trick in TechMech.

Welcome aboard.

Back