NuVinci? Holy grail of motored bikes??

T

turkeyssr

I was perusing e-bay and Staton-Inc.com and came across these little gems. It seems that regardless of whether you go with staton or GEBE, you'll end up having to buy or have built a new wheel, so from that stand point the 2 are equal. HOWEVER, I really LOVE the idea of shiftable gears, which the Nuvinci hub offers. The price of the kit, w/o a wheel is hefty at $899! :eek:

I guess I'm still undecided about belt versus chains as I just don't feel comfortable driving a wheel by the spokes.

http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3207

Thoughts??[/quote]

turkeyssr said:
I was perusing e-bay and Staton-Inc.com and came across these little gems. It seems that regardless of whether you go with staton or GEBE, you'll end up having to buy or have built a new wheel, so from that stand point the 2 are equal. HOWEVER, I really LOVE the idea of shiftable gears, which the Nuvinci hub offers. The price of the kit, w/o a wheel is hefty at $899! :eek:

I guess I'm still undecided about belt versus chains as I just don't feel comfortable driving a wheel by the spokes.

http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3207

Thoughts??
[/quote]

I like the idea of shiftable gears, too. Good find.

the way I read that is..... $899 with the hub & wheel.
still might pricey!! Whizzer kits are less than that. :LOL:

Staton offers hubs with sprockets on both sides.

sidenote: as crudely mounted, as our "Happytimes" sprockets are mounted to our spokes. I have only had one broken spoke in 4 years.(with 4 bikes)
Spokes are really pretty tough.

i just cant leave this one alone

what do you plan on doing with your kit?just having fun and learning alot then i would suggest a 200 dollar kit ie 80cc 2 stroke.if your only transportation and you are going to drive lots of miles then ask me about it.

That kit is nice but the price for the hub only is $439.
http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3252

Looking at the gear reduction box makes me laugh, it looks so beefy like it came off a tractor or something.Seems like it could have been made a little more compact.

There are pocket bike engines that have a torque converter that outputs to the right side that might work well with that hub.

For maybe 3K someone could build a motoredbike that would easily go over 100mph (LOL-who'd ride it)
Start with a nice sturdy frame use that rear hub driven by a modded out high performance pocket bike engine.
Take it to the salt flats and run it wide open.

Re: i just cant leave this one alone

beast775 said:
what do you plan on doing with your kit?just having fun and learning alot then i would suggest a 200 dollar kit ie 80cc 2 stroke.if your only transportation and you are going to drive lots of miles then ask me about it.

My ultimate goal is to communte as often and as reliably as possible a distance of 20 miles each way to work. I'm in good shape and do that from time to time 1 way (usually) without an engine, but the engine would make that possible every day, in both directions. The shiftable gear option would make different routes possible (big hills and some trails over the old military base out here, Ft. Ord). Sure I could pedal with the engine and would be willing to do it, if I could only determine if the Nuvinci was REALLY NOT worth the extra dough. The wording on the Staton site leaves a LOT to be desired, to say the least. No direct offense intended towards them.

My other question would be do the staton chains REALLY throw off oil as they're moving? It seems they could, but I don't recall much coming off my motorcycle, but the chain was down low and covered.

kits

well ive built a nuvinci hub with a staton 43cc 2 stroke for a buddy.you could pull a boat with it.and top speed to fast for a bicycle.i have a 43cc 2 stroke mitsubishi with chain drive a staton gear box and its amazing to say the least.its alot of work and money but i find it worth it .its my only transportation.i use motorcycle chain wax on my chain and nothing comes off ever,the motors will last about 10,000 miles,then buy a new one for 225.00.if you pedal as i do the motors will last along time.i am planning a trip next summer to ride the trans canada trail,its 4500 kms.and im not worried 1 bit there very good kits in my opinion.but its quite a mechanical feat building one im on my 3rd kit and it seems to be getting iesier.i would suggest a small 4 stroke honda there bullit proof and have a good warranty..good luck

The Nuvinici does not use gears but balls on cones that offer the ratio change. Paxton super chargers of the early '60s that were on Studebaker Golden Hawks used the same set-up. They did not offer a long working life. Maybe with today's metalurgey and the light loads of driving a bicycle the service life will be very good.

Staton started out making gasoline power wheel barrows that carry up to 1000 pounds. That 18.75 to 1 ratio gearbox comes from that production. They are not noisy and they last forever. I think Staton offers a very road worthy set-up, allbeit heavy and kinda ugly.
I did talk to David Staton awhile back and he stated that they are working on a lighter gearbox for bicycles. His boxes and hubs are build in OKC, USA.

Look at the 12g spoked wheels Staton offers and check out their $130 rear hubs with 4 cartridge bearings. Very good kit indeed.

Just my two cents. :cool:

Thanks

That's great information. I'm always amazed at the collective experience on this list/forum.

I would like to hear more about the Nuvinci install and if you have pix, that would be great. (When you have time)

Thanks again...

---John

MPG with the Staton and Nuvinci

I forgot to ask...

Are the MPG numbers similar for Staton regular drive and the Nuvinci version versus the GEBE kits? (Same size engines of course...)

In other words, can one expect to get 200mpg or better with the Staton?

Thanks.

Back