Brakes Best brakes?

I just basically want a good brake system that I know will be safe with great stopping power. (If my front brake became jamed instead of the rear I probably would have ended up going to the hospital being a speedster in the speed I was riding, 25MPH?. Just because of the friction brake pads that are used on the wheel's rim.) I heard that the disk brake is probably the best and most relighable. So I'm intrested in them. But I'm consirned it won't fit on the back tire with the extra engine sproket in the way if it is in the way. :?

WOW!!! That was a great bike! It looked so great that it put tears in my eyes :cry: ! If anyone else wants to say anything else please do. Since I really have my mind on relighable brakes.

Ok... so now I'm starting to feel that the friction pad brakes were just a unique break down. So I'm thinking of just replacing them with new ones since the ones I hade I didn't change for about 300 miles.(Even though they still breaked well) Well my main question for this post is did anyone else experience problems with friction pads? Also how oftin do you replace them?

brake pads and motorbicycles

Hi I use almost exclusively Coaster rear and drum front now, because of the bikes I now build. Prior to this I used and built for others many coaster reay, and caliper front bikes. The caliper pads are so cheap, and so easy to replace, that you can carry them in your lil toolbag, and change them in the skdae of the convience store, while you have a nice cold soda.
Center Pull, or cantilevers have longer shoes (pads) better leverage, and more stopping power, these too are easy to change. They do require studs on the bike that none of my best early model american cruisers were built with.
A rear hand brake either gives you 2 levers on the left, or you can go with the rotary clutch handle (in stock) they work great, but take a little getting used to.
I NEVER use, promote, sell, or approve of the dual cable lever. This is because you are putting all of your eggs in one basket, and I don't know about you, but I don't want all of my "eggs" broken at the same time.
The potential problem with disk brake, and chain sprocket marriage is that it's very bad to have grease or oil on the disk pads, and few of us run a truly clean chain.......Possible, but I/ve not seen it.
Aditionally disk brakes are very new in the bicycles lifespan, and still rather expensive.
I am not a light rider, and have had no coaster braking failures on the run, but do relube them, and adjust the lash, or replace bearings as needed.
I hope this helps you, if you have any further questions please ask. I wrote you this as I was noticing that you were not getting detailed responses.

Mike

azkronic said:
that's not to bad...at least you figured it out and have brakes now !!!!
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It's not as bad as doing some mechanical work on your bike just before a long ride and forgetting to tighten the brake cables after you adjusted them. iI was 7 miles away with no tools on me when i found out. I had to make it the rest of the way and when i got there, the bolts that held the cable on were gone, had to salvage some from a random bike (hope that guy never found out!) :???: :devilish:

By far the best brakes I have tried that will bolt on a bicycle. Stopping from 100km/h downhill is no problem.

Hope Mono 6 Ti. This one is a 205mm rotor, but I'm planning to upgrade to the 225mm rotor. The pads are easily twice the size of my old Avid Juicy 7's, and a real bleeder screw on the caliper means they can be bled like a normal person would expect them to be. Caliper is also one piece, although I'm not sure it really makes a difference on such a small caliper.

2519_IMGP7264_1.jpg

2519_IMGP7157_1.jpg

Go to magura.com . They aren't cheap, but the brakes are good. Hydrolic rim brakes work well where you can't fit discs. The disc brake kits are the best my side of the pond. Alternatively, have you looked into Hayes brakes, (good enough for Denali, R.I.P. ) Or you could do what I did, use the brakes of the car in front. And yes, for those of you with a sense of humour it was a bloody Toyota. Regards FatPete.

In england we haven't had coaster/drum brakes since the 70's! I've got a front disc brake and a rear V brake, I find that unless you are serious about off roading then a disc brake is m ore trouble than its worth. My V-brake stops me much quicker than the disc, plus they are incredibly cheap and are very easy to maintain. However if money isnt a problem then definetely go for hydraulic disc brakes.

Drum brakes are ideal for heavy bikes were reliability and decent stopping power is a priority. They beat disks any day in my opinion. The stopping power isn't quite as good howether.

Back