Half Link, where to buy???

How about just adding a whole link and using the tensioner to take up the slack?

unfortunately, Joe, your idea was brilliant, but my bike has a very odd shape to its bars. If I were to invert the tensioner, the chain would run right into the bar that holds the wheel, whatever you call it. And to add back the 2 links that I took out would make it way too loose, like from the picture in the original thread i started. So if i figure that I have to get a half link, and then I can use the tensioner rightside up.

anyone know what size the half link has to be, there is a choice for 1/8 inch, or 3/16 inch??? I have that 415 chain.

chain blues

Why dont you do what I've been doing for ohhh sooo long? Take a piece of extruded aluminum, cut it into the shape of a t-shirt, and drop it in between the engine and the sliding rear mount, 1 or 2 at 1/8" will do the trick, (obviously you loosen the rear, and retighten) Mike

I'm confused. What is the rear sliding mount and what will this t-shirt shaped aluminum piece do? "Jon"???

T-shirts, good chain adjustment and you

Hi first of all who is "jon"? Well shoot, now that I've got that out of the way, lets get back to the T-shirts.
Obtain a piece of extruded aluminum, and hack-saw it into a strip as wide as the rear sliding motormount on your China-fire engine. This is the cast aluminum block that slides onto the rear motor-mount studs.
Don't we all know how a clean t-shirt looks laid out on the bed? If you "carve" the aluminum chunk to resemble that t-shirt it will not fall out, but will be supported by the studs, that are running thru the motor mount block. Being supported by the "sleeves".
What will it do??? I would guess, that if installed correctly, it would incrementally move your engine forward 1/8 in (or whatever stock you choose) forward with each t-shirt shim.
NOW consider that, if you move the engine 1/8, you take up 1/4 inch chain slack, with me?
Sooo 2 t-shirts equals 1/2 inch slack, and pretty soon you do not need a half-link, which, so many times, prove to be worthless.
I hope this helps, as this form of T-Shirt was my own invention, several years ago.
Mike

Dude,you would not believe it,but I was tinkering around at Lowells today looking to build a camera mount on my bike and in one drawer there it was. Half links for every size chain!
Look in the hardware isle under special connectors where they have pictures of what's in those drawers. The pictures of the half links are right there.

Back