Burley Recumbent W/ GEBE Tanaka 3300

H

Hive

667_Burley1_2.jpg

Bike is Burley Sand Point, same frame as Koosah: Bought with custom paint.

Used GEBE drive kit that was installed on CNC, plus new T-33. Made new engine support bar from aluminum stock and used same material for TREK grocery bag frame along drive side of bike.

The side-bracket and engine anchor bar were bent using two bench vises and large Crescent wrench. Used 5mm stock hex head ss screws and tapped inside frame etc. GEBE metal bars would have worked, but I sent the new ones to gent who bought kit.

The kill switch is under seat on left and located to reduce clutter up front. This has a two-wire ground. One side is always grounded other is for running. I switch as a minimal theft deterrent.

Had to assemble longer throttle cable from GEBE (112") plus add on 8.5 inch rear axle (9" may be better choice, if they will make one - GEBE) and new 36-spoke laced wheel from GEBE also. Order axle with wheel. Outstanding service, BTW.

Rear tire is now a Specialized Armadillo, which I had acquired for TREK CNC, but did not use. I may yet go to larger tire, but will give this one a shot for the time being.

667_Burley2_2.jpg

667_Burley_3_1.jpg

667_Burley_5_2.jpg

The longer axle permits engine mount to sit on axle and not to hit frame (or disk brake sets on other bikes if you are thinking about it.) Use one 10mm nut for wheel and second nut on outside for engine and then lock all, with appropriate washers etc.

I might add that I replaced the inefficient clips that come with throttle cables and kill buttons with ss hose clamps for firmer anchor.

NOTE WELL: If you use engine in vertical position as above, change the fuel intake tube to longer version, as factory tubes don't reach bottom of tank and you will run out of fuel - not good for 2-cycles - and not use the bottom 25% of fuel, etc.

edited so pics were under each other so no scrolling side-to-side
Bill

There are so many excellent things about this ride, the tire AND:

The kill switch is under seat on left. Put there to reduce clutter upfront. This has a two-wire ground. One side is always grounded other is for running. I switch as a minimal theft deterrent.

BOTH THUMBS UP !! :cool:

From the high school physics memories, aren't two pulleys better than one?

Top speed/in a safe assured manner, THAT is what I'm listening for.

*edit what I meant, hive (below) was that the second gear is what makes the recumbent more efficient to pedal

bamabikeguy, a ?

Two pulley's ... ?

I figure if it works, and you do not abuse it, you are doing good!

Or, did I miss ...?

Chain is controlled by a sheave that splits angles - it has another name and I cannot recall it.

good work

ok im gonna have to take out a recumbant at the shop,its eating me up!ive never rode one.and now i gotta.

Hive said:
667_Burley1_2.jpg

Bike is Burley Sand Point, same as Koosah: Bought with custom paint.

Used GEBE drive kit that was installed on CNC,plus new T-33. Made new engine support bar from aluminum stock and used same material for TREK grocery bag frame along drive side of bike.

The framing and engine anchor bar were bent using two bench vises and large Crescent wrench. Used 5mm stock hex head ss screws and tapped inside frame etc. GEBE metal bars would have worked, but I sent the new ones to gent who bought kit.

The kill switch is under seat on left. Put there to reduce clutter upfront. This has a two-wire ground. One side is always grounded other is for running. I switch as a minimal theft deterrent.

Had to acquire longer throttle cable from GEBE (104") plus 8.5 inch rear axle (9" may be better choice, if they will make one - GEBE) and new 36-spoke laced wheel from GEBE also. Order axle with wheel. Outstanding service, BTW.

Rear tire is now a Specialized Amadillo, which I had acquired for TREK CNC, but did not use. I may yet go to larger tire, but will give this one a shot for the time being.

The longer axle permits engine mount to sit on axle and not to hit frame (or disk brake sets on other bikes if you are thinking about it.) Use one 10mm nut for wheel and locked with another for engine mount.

edited so pics were under each other so no scrolling side-to-side
Bill

Excuse me, but that is fricking COOL!! :eek:

Back