Western Flyer rides again, is no old bike safe?

Well, I decided to try out the new Hua Sheuy or whatever it's name is. I looked on the "Wall of Shame", for a bike that the motormount would fit without modifacation, and this lil former tank-bike, a Western Flyer, I think fit the bill! I screwed this lil bike together from parts lying in the breezeway work area. 2 or 3 yo wheelset with good new Cheng Shin "City Riders" or something. 44th sprocket, heated and bent Grube crank, Viscount saddle with old 5/8 in clamp on top, orig backrack, and I had to remove the chainguard.
Bike runs good, accelleration is good, engine braking very nice for a auto-clutch. Gearbox has a significant whine which will supposedly decrease as it breaks in. I have no speedo, (yet) I will mount a Whizzer speedo on it, and get some clue as to what it's doing at that level.
So far it runs out pretty nice. Generally starts in a single pull, the lil engine is much wider than I'm used to, but would be better with the correct crank I think. I've put probably 8-10 miles on it since it first ran yesterday, and I can't wait to see what improvements will be with the springer. A front brake is definately in order, and I can now re-adjust the rear wheel, as the sprockets and chain are wearing in a little. The people chain is pretty loose.

Ride Straight, Mike
318_HUNG4_1.jpg

318_HUNG2_1.jpg

What model?

Hi, well, I dunno, I bought it from a guy for 35.00 with a good pair of chrome S-2 Schwinn wheels on it. No fenders, just chainguard, rack and bike. I don't know who manufactured it tho I'm thinking Colombia because of the way the cantilever tubes are butted, Mike

I did (a little) research and found that Western Flyers were "made by several companies for Western Auto stores." Most of the ones like yours seem to have been made by Murray, and I went out to compare my Murray Westport to my Western Flyer Grand Trophy, and they are nearly if not identical.

The one I have a "HappyTime" kit on has some bizarre handlebars and as far as I can find, made in the late 60's or early 70's....I have seen them from the 30's through the late 90's.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread....carry on!

motor

Im sorry if its already been said. but can you please tell me:

what type of motor is this? how many cc? Where did you buy it from and did you buy it from a kit?

Poor old Western Flyer

Hi Stowaway! This is a kit that I intend to carry, I have 2 arriving tomorrow or so, so that I can inspect the components. 49cc 1.6 hp Honda clone (chinese). I bought only the engine and motormount, so I've not seen kit components. Runs very well! Is a total kit.

Mike

china

where did u get the china motor from?

do u know if they come out in 31cc
thanks!

China motor

Stowaway, Hey Mate, I'm a dealer, I'm guessing you are new here? I've been in the Motor-Bicycle Business in America for a very long time. I bought this drivetrain wholesale to determine it's qualities, to decide as to wheather to carry them or not.

Honda makes a gx35, that MAY work here, Hung Shea (or whatever) makes copies of Honda. Output shaft of China-Motor, and Honda are different. I could check to see if Comrade China Motor Works makes a smaller engine with same mounting flange, and remember, there are no cc ID's on these things. So you can run "underground" if you choose.

Let me know what might help you and I will try.

Mike

thanks

thanks for your help.. Ive done a bit more research and noticed that the honda 30cc and 50cc motors are exactly the same size.

so there is no real point getting a 30cc. ive decided im just going to get the 50cc honda clone. i found 1 on ebay with the kit

Back