Has anyone here ordered a Power King and liked it?

S

Stratocaster

I've mentioned this in another thread, but for me, the "Power King" engine kit is about 50% cheaper for me than the most recommended one, the Dax.

However, I've recently read disturbing reviews of the PK product.

But, conversely, these kits are all supposed to be approximately the same, so how different can they be, and in what ways?

I'm just wondering if anyone was satisfied with the PK kit, enough to recommend me getting it. If the PK kit is lacking in some ways, perhaps I could upgrade various parts?

I believe they equalize the price by charging large for shipping
but, if you research sellers, you can make your own decision whether to hope for a good one or order from someone reliable

re

I'm "researching" by reading from posters on this board. How am I supposed to learn otherwise?

The Power King doesn't "equalize" on shipping. I added everything up, and it's about 50% cheaper. I just need to know - if their kit stinks, what specifically is inferior about it, because perhaps I can upgrade it myself?

Well...."they" say it's an 80, and it's not even a 70. Other than that, I guess they are pretty much the same.

I guess if you are happy buying a 50-60, and you think the price is fair, then by all means, buy one.

We'll leave the light on for ya'.

I just received a couple kits from Power King. I haven't installed them yet, but they look reasonably good aside from some marks on one of the fuel tanks. There are some differences versus the Dax kits I bought last fall, and no doubt, the Dax is probably a superior kit overall, but these were considerably cheaper even with the higher shipping and I think they'll be ok. I'll know more in a couple weeks when I get one installed on my brother's bike. One thing that does impress me with the Power king kit is that the instructions seem fairly nicely done. The cylinder studs are definately whimpier than the ones on my Dax engines and although Power King included 2 different clutch levers, neither of them look as well made as the Dax one....but I'm sure they'll work just fine. I just emailed Power King regarding the fuel tank damage and I hope they will compensate me in some manner. I have about 350 miles on my Dax powered bike and have had absolutely no trouble with it...not even a loose bolt, which kinda surprises me given some of the messages I've been reading in this forum. Maybe it's time I went through it and checked it over.

Pete

i won't rehash, i'll just summarize: you get what you pay for.

but, your being in canada seems to hinder getting a decent bottom line.

just make absolutely certain, in writing before the sale, what exactly you'll be getting for the money. i don't think you should settle for "it's just like a dax" as an answer either.

refer the prospective seller here and ask for definitive answers.

ps- i posted a point-by-point comparison in the other topic, let me know if there's anything else i can tell ya.

Re: re

Stratocaster said:
I'm "researching" by reading from posters on this board. How am I supposed to learn otherwise?

Hey, Strat...i may be able to shed a little light on this. simply.
Go to eBay, find the sellers with this kit, then read all feedback from the buyers of the kits.
I dont know of an easier solution.

Just wanted to update my previous post regarding the damage to the finish on the tank on the kit I received from Power King. I did report it to them a couple days ago...and this morning they got back to me saying that I could either return it and they'd send me another OR they would be willing to just give me a refund of ten bucks if I chose to just live with the damaged tank. I decided to just go for the refund and save the hassle and expense of shipping the tank back. They haven't refunded me yet, but I trust they will when they get around to it....and I think that's fair enough of them. Really, it's not a bad kit...but I think I'm going to pull the cylinders from both kits and see if I can drill out the crankcases and retap the holes to accept larger studs like my Dax engines have. I just don't like the looks of those skinny studs even though they might well be good enough.

Pete

Hey Strato...I got your pm and sent a reply...but it's the first time I've had a pm in here and I don't know if my reply sent properly as it does not show up in my sent items box. let me know if you didn't get it.

Pete

lotsa_mpg said:
...it does not show up in my sent items box...
Pete - FYI: it won't show up in your sent items box until the intended receiver reads it. Hope this helps! :)

Back