Ashtabula forks and crank?

G

I know someone has this answer.

Why are they called this? Where was the company that built them? Are they still in existance today?

I live in Ashatbula county and know the city (Ashatabula) pretty well.

That's a start Joe. Thanks.

Now if I can just find an old timer who knows the exact location of the old factory.....

Ashtabula

Hi all -

I know I'm new here and all to this forum, but the above post ^ from BMXMuseum,, that's MY hangout. . I'm a BMX type from way back....

anyways -

Ashtabula was on everything BITD, like that article said, Schwinns, Mongoose, + alot more bikes. I had some on a CYC Stormer, Roger D Coster, etc. They were like OEM parts I guess.

That pic of the '77 Ashtabula bike in the museum - that's a pretty rare item. You used to be able to buy 'kits' - a bunch of parts pretty much, and take your bananna-seat Schwinn or whatever and upgrade it to a BMX ride. They maybe released a full bike at one point, but I only remember the kits, and single parts, and 'OEM' parts already on bikes.

Hope that helps -
- Saylor

Thanks! I'm finding more every day.

I'm trying to find the exact location of the old factory for a bit of "urban exploration".

OK, this isn't my info so let's all give a moment of silent ethanks to Ryan Humphrey (especially Joe)...

Ashtabula is a native American word meaning "river of many fish." Ashtabula parts were found on alot of Mongoose and Schwinn bmx bikes in the 70's. The factory was located in Ashtabula, Ohio on Route 20 also known as Prospect Ave. Part of the Factory is still standing but much of it has been torn down. When I was in there as a kid we found crates and crates of bikes parts, unfinished parts, technical drawings and even prototypes for different things. These things are long gone due to many "suspicious" fires and multiple owners. I don't know much more than that. The last time I was home I was cleaning out my own warehouse and I took some stuff to the local scrapyard and I found a bike there with Ashtabula cranks and an Ashtabula stem... So anyway the stuff is still around. Sorry I can't be of further help.

Take care -Ryan Humphrey

Before I get quiet- I read that part.

I know where Ashtabula is, and I know what it means. I also know that RT. 20 (Prospect) through Ashtabula is a long street with a lot of buildings on it.

I'm trying to find an address or exact location to see if the building is still there.

"Part of the Factory is still standing but much of it has been torn down. "

Look for a building with that description then? I'm sure it would stand out somehow

Well... since you're a local then maybe the library has old phone books where you could glean that addy... for that matter, I'm positive there would be something at the library with the company's addy... I'm just not sure what that particular document might be. Maybe ask the person at the 'Reference Desk'.

*Oh, I just realized that my above post was simply a regurgitation of the info from that first link... see what I miss when I don't click stuff?

JosephGarcia said:
"Part of the Factory is still standing but much of it has been torn down. "

Look for a building with that description then? I'm sure it would stand out somehow

That's half of Ashtabula! :LOL:

Back