Gas or Electric,Rack or Frame Mount, Chain or Belt

J

jerryt

Well I've think I've seen all the pictures and read quite a bit on the forum over the few days I've been here. Theres so much great stuff and I keep going back and forth about what to build.

But I did go out and buy an old Worksman Industrial (2 wheeler) and will pick it up next week. http://www.worksmancycles.com/
This bike has some sentimental value because it was used at the company where I used to work. A bunch of them were donated when my company shut down, to a charity thats helping kids . Its a very heavy duty bike and I think it would look good with a frame mount and a gas tank mounted under the top bar like the antique ones I have seen here. It would probably work well with an electric hub motor too.

The only thing I haven't found on the forum is a frame motor with a chain drive comparison to a frame mount with a belt drive. However, I've read accounts that the belt drive (on rack mounts) has less vibration than a chain drive.

Any comments are helpful.
Jerry

I, personally haven't ever seen or heard of anybody doing a belt drive with a center-mounted engine :eek: :eek:
But, the idea intrigues me 8) 8)
the look of center and silence of belt drive... hmmm, me likes the idea :cool:

The only thing I haven't found on the forum is a frame motor with a chain drive comparison to a frame mount with a belt drive. However, I've read accounts that the belt drive (on rack mounts) has less vibration than a chain drive.

Jerry,

Don't know of any such system, mounting on a frame, and Dennis at GEBE has 6 or more patents on his belt drive components.

Installation is comparable to an fanbelt/alternator on a car, where a FRAME would be too rigid/nonadjustable, while the RACK allows some left/right/up/down/forward/back ability to get the belt centered in the gear teeth before torque-ing it down.

But, frames can vary and women's bikes are 2" shorter than men's, to say nothing about a persons abilities to drill/weld/solder to a precision.

The distance from the axle bolt to the gear on top that drives the belt is CONSTANT, based on the axle mount which makes installation on a 24" or 26" tire possible. In other words, there is only one size belt, and the distance/radius above the axle bolt never changes.

And the vibration level can be minimized by taking care on spoke-ring procedure.

Did you know that the worst thumping vibration is usually a tire not seated in the wheel properly? One slight bulge make the loudest/annoyingist racket..... :???:

That page loaded WAY too slow for my poor dialup, so I grabbed this first pix to the left top row for you to use/ask....

I'll admit, I know zilch/zero about Simpson Motors, there are a lot of folks here that are more experienced.

21_08_Oak_1.jpg

Boys? Jerry needs input. :)

Anybody have an opinion/review?

I believe those are whizzers...top of the line stuff, but very pricey 8)
also the displacement is too large to be classed as a motorized bicycle, the law says they are motorcycles and have to be registered, insured, ...etc

Believe it or not, that was the ONE opinion I was gonna give, as I sloooooowwwwwly waited for those pix to load.

"They sure look big". :eek:

It sure is refreshing that thanks to the influence of MB.com, my strictly unknowing opinion is/was correct.

I picked up my Worksman today and I'm happy with it. My very first bike was similar and this one brings fond memories of my old Columbia. Worksman has been made in American since 1898 and New York Magazine calls it the "Two wheeled Hum Vee". Heres some info on it:
Fully lugged frame, hand brazed utilizing 1" 16 gauge frame tubing
5/8" rear frame stays
Knock-out" industrial front hubs
Posi-quad" welding
Steel 26" clincher rims (50% thicker than any other brand) with 11 gauge spokes (.120)
Cantilever" style 17.5" frame with dual top bars.
1/2x3/16" chains (50% thicker than regular bike chain)
3/16" front sprocket
Tires are supposed to be Kevlar but mine may have been changed out.
My bike is painted "Safety Orange" so I need decide whether to keep it that color. Now I gotta decide how to power it.

Back