Carby NT Carburetor Assembly Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Homemade throttle cable

I made a throttle cable. I used a derailleur cable. I marked it for length, and cut the cable to size. Then I took a wiring ferrule that is about the same size as the barrel on a brake cable, and drilled a small hole in it. I poked the cable through the hole and frizzed up the end of the cable. Then I heated it up and filled it with solder. First time I tried lead, but it didn't fill and adhere well. The flux core solder seems to have filled and stuck.

IMG_2694.jpg

IMG_2700.jpg

Today at work, I found a product that would hook on the wire end of a gearshift cable to make a throttle cable for use with a brake lever. It would be adjustable. They make a little brass barrel with a hole through it for the wire, and a screw that goes in the end to secure the cable. It's called a Wire Stop. NAPA part #731-1135. Up here they are $1.19 a pair. Should be cheaper out there in the world.

Yeah they are pretty handy them things, you get them with the Happy Time kits. Ideal for quickly adjusting the clutch by the side of the road.

I might have to try this as my throttle cable is either stretching too much, or my brake lever's adjustment thingy is coming loose, which I don't understand.

carb pics

Thanks so much. I knew something had to go on the carb end. My kit did not have any of those parts. Just the throttle cable, no slider or pin.

alaskavan i made my own throttel cable once. i got a bicycle break cable and just used a metal file to filed down the bussniss end to the correct size. works a treat.

For reference:

One time my bike just stopped working. It would run fine, but i could get no throttle. it was just slack.

The little barrel (that's inside the carb), had broken clean off so it was not pulling anything up, so no fuel was going inside, save what was needed for an idle.

I took the carb apart, and found the little barrel. it had actually migrated into the pipe that goes from the carb to the engine when i had removed the carb. (not sure how it got in there!)

luckily, my steady hands and a coat hanger got it out before it fell down into the engine.

Here ya go:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back