running hot... overheating 2 stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
a lazarus thread!

usually, if its just started overheating and getting hard to start... try cleaning the carb, checking for air leaks. usually filth in the bowl or a loose bolt.

if its 2nd hand and bought untested... give it a good going over, ie...tear the carb down. usually they get left full of fuel that clogs everything up as it dries out.

use fresh fuel, not the stale stuff left in the tank.

pop the magneto cover and check for oil in the cavity, means the crank seals gone. it will look like its been "flung out" from the crank. because it has :) if there is nothing there, forget about it... tis fine.

couple of other areas but thats usually the prime reasons...blocked/dirty carb, leaky intake manifold, leaking crank seals.

start new threads or check the dates on the ones you choose to hijack...;)

a lazarus thread!

usually, if its just started overheating and getting hard to start... try cleaning the carb, checking for air leaks. usually filth in the bowl or a loose bolt.

if its 2nd hand and bought untested... give it a good going over, ie...tear the carb down. usually they get left full of fuel that clogs everything up as it dries out.

use fresh fuel, not the stale stuff left in the tank.

pop the magneto cover and check for oil in the cavity, means the crank seals gone. it will look like its been "flung out" from the crank. because it has :) if there is nothing there, forget about it... tis fine.

couple of other areas but thats usually the prime reasons...blocked/dirty carb, leaky intake manifold, leaking crank seals.

start new threads or check the dates on the ones you choose to hijack...;)

Thanks lazarus for the tips I will check those things out.
I have never had one of these before but thought I would try one out for when the winter weather kicks in
as my E Bike isn't much use if its raining and such because of the electrics.
The guy I bought if was selling it on ebay and he said he had ridden it for about 20 miles.
I got it delivered so used fresh oil and petrol mix. Yesterday was the first time I have tried it out.:helmet:

I know my engine gets really hot when it starts slowing down at same throttle....The guts start expanding and start rubbing something fierce!

I know my engine gets really hot when it starts slowing down at same throttle....The guts start expanding and start rubbing something fierce!

This was the first time I had used it since buying it. I went out on it just to get the hang of it
so it would only have been on for about 5 mins if that as I used the kill switch twice.that's why
I was surprised it was hot.

I run my engine pretty hard for hours at a time to travel between cities, its just "pretty warm" at the end of all that, I can put my hand on it for 15 secs or so before i feel pain. Or I just have a high tolerance for pain, lol.

can you tell me how much and where did you get your bike kit, i would love to city hop without worry too

Shag, take off your right side cover to see if the primary gear is rubbing against it.

Nothing rubs. I was just stating for rgflynn that things start expanding when things get hot. I know my motor is overheated when it starts slowing down. Particularly while breaking a motor in. Hence the 5-10 min run time in between cooldowns for breaking it in.

i was thinking that my motor was running hot as well; i did notice this evening that one of my cooling fin is starting to warp after my short run, should i concern myself with this? my mix is 16.1 ratio. I'm on the trailing end of my break in. Checked my plug, and it was blackened. cleaned it with wire brush, and reinstalled it.can someone clarify what is going on with this situation?

i was thinking that my motor was running hot as well; i did notice this evening that one of my cooling fin is starting to warp after my short run, should i concern myself with this? my mix is 16.1 ratio. I'm on the trailing end of my break in. Checked my plug, and it was blackened. cleaned it with wire brush, and reinstalled it.can someone clarify what is going on with this situation?
would need to see a pic of warped fin (never heard of that happening) - plug black could just be too rich and running poorly once engine starts to warm up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back