Chainsaws,weedwhackers,snow blowers...oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Has anyone just mounted up a chainsaw engine, with the proper centrifugal clutch and chain to drive a bolt on type sprocket like the Chinese engines use? The felt pad type?

Seems too easy. I have an extra chainsaw...how much is a sprocket and adapter?

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm.....chainsaw?

I have a McCULLOCH engine. It's 32-33cc. wanna see it? sure you do. 8)

59_100_1356_1.jpg

59_100_1357_1.jpg

did this come off a chainsaw? would this be sturdy enough to power a bike? duh....sure it is. this is the same as a mid-size gebe powerplant. With the right gear ratio, this will work. I have a bunch of Q's :?
we should talk. (I have sprockets.... with all the fixins) 8)

Yeah, I had a notion to mount my Husky or my Stihl engine on a bike and just run a centrifugal clutch with a chain going to the rear wheel via a sprocket like the Chinese engines use.

I haven't looked at either, but I'm guessing mounts will be the hardest part...I got a hundred pounds of various aluminum plate from .090 up to 1/4". I have some "saddles" from ultralight aircraft-used to bolt flat stuff to round stuff. In fact I have a boatload of tubing ect ect. from ultralights...I EVEN HAVE A 440CC KAWASAKI!!!! :eek: :LOL:

I keep bidding on a dax, but I keep getting shot down....so I started thinking.....

Looks like it's from a weedwacker. 33cc is enough. My 50cc Vino goes 40+ with me and a hundred and sixty five pounds of scooter. It's a CVT, but the clutch should be fine for a bicycle.

I think I'll look into mounting a chainsaw engine on my Next Monterey whateveritscalled.

I have to buy or make a sprocket set up, felt padding and all. Anybody got an extra for sale? 44T or 36T?

How are you going to gear it down? Possibly a jackshaft setup?

Moth

Well, for starters, how much do I have to gear it down? I mean if I run a 9-11 tooth sprocket on the clutch, and a 44T on the rear, how much would that get me? What are the number of teeth on the sprockets on the Chinese engine?

I should be able to run direct drive, just like a go kart or minibike, no?

In order to get the right gear ratio without the use of a jackshaft you would want a rear sprocket nearly the size of the bike wheel. The little Chinese engines are geared down something like 10/1 and then another 4 to 1 with the chain sprockets. You can figure your gearing mathmatically since you know the RPM of the engine and the size of the bike wheel.

Moth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back