Carby An interesting carb modification I found on Youtube

Are you positive? I'm definitely NOT a mechanic, but it seems this is doing the same thing a turbo would do, forcing more air in. Of course, it would vary depending on your speed...so I assume getting the air/gas mixture right would be difficult.

Of course, you're probably right...as many other members are probably going to tell me! :rolleyes:

EDIT: I just looked at the turbo thread. Now I feel like an idiot.

the carburetor can only take in so much air, you have to be going quite quick for a ram air effect to happen. a turbocharger gets more air through the engine by compressing it, not by just blowing it into the intake.

I have seen other members do something similar using PVC pipe. The u-turn in the intake could make the make things a bit quieter.

ram air does work to help feed fresh air in but u dont want a thin ass tube running straight from your carb that reduces air its better to ram in to a air box and with a long intake id have a one way valve like reeds on the air box so u never restrict only ever compress air in when traveling fast as i did with my 750
xsxsax.jpg

a turbo uses exhaust gas to turn a fan that moves another to push air in

the best way to ram air in to a carb compressed is by maintaining good presure in that box with a constant force in of air with say a in line extractor fan ..

Based on some experimenting I did with motorcycles, I really do believe that ram air effect does give a noticeable boost in power. I find it amusing that this is pooh poohed in the press, because I made a ram air intake for a Sportster and it certainly worked. However it only came on at around 50 MPH.

I was going to say the same basic thing, ram air works just fine if you can move fast enough to actually drive the effect, note spikes 750, it certainly should work well on something that big.

66cc poo poo bikes not so much..

It would reduce the vacuum in the carb and so you'd have to jet it richer (assuming it was correctly jetted before the ram air install).
but this is all just theoretical talk since these motorized bikes are too slow to take advantage of this.

Back