Dax throttle doesn't spring back when released

rjriggs

Local time
3:19 AM
I just fired up my first build tonight! I won't brag about it starting the very first time. Because it didn't. :whistle: But I started out with zero mechanical knowledge and got it running after a two-day build. Was doing fine...until the master link on the chain vanished into thin air. I'm going to get a chain breaker and repair it without a master link tomorrow. Now, I've encountered one little problem. My throttle does not spring back when I let go of the grip. I've lubricated the handlebar, grip, and cable, and nothing seems to help. Can anyone tell what I can try? The spring in the carburetor seems pretty strong. Actually, I probably need to get a better throttle. Can anyone recommend a throttle that's relatively cheap but works well?

I suspect that the cable is still the issue, rather than the throttle. You might try a thumb throttle. Make your own from a thumb shifter or purchase on from a powersports store or site.

sounds like you tied the cable down with zip-ties or somesuch - these cables must be free to flex a bit to work properly

I think the culprit might have been the white lithium grease I used to lubricate the handlebar for the throttle. I took the throttle off today, and the grease was thick and sticky. I'm going to try WD-40 instead.

I don't use any lubrication. whatever plastic the stock throttle is made of is self lubricating.

Back