49 vs. 66

Ra1977

Local time
6:42 AM
What is better? I haven't heard much about the 49 2 cycle kits. In the state I live in that is what I will have to run to be legal. My problem is I'm a big guy and need the 66 for the extra power. At least that's what I'm thinking anyway. Anyone have experience with both motor kits.

You might check with David Staton, at Staton Inc., as the last time I was over at his shop in Oklahoma City he had a high performance 49cc motor, 4 stroke if I remember correctly, that was rated at 4.5 hp. If my memory is correct, then this motor would meet the cc requirement and its not easy to measure HP by just looking at a motor. Done correctly, that would be a 40+ mph ride. I almost bought it myself.

He told me but I dont remember. He only had one of them. It was small when compared to my GXH50 and weighed around 8 lbs. Give him a call @ 405-605-3765.

Get the 66cc, it has lots more low end torque. They are nearly identical and have no markings stating size. If need be...LIE. No cop is gonna actually measure anything. If you pull any hills, you'll love the extra grunt.

I've like the 49 cc that I've had. But I weigh 180 lbs.

My 66 cc certainly has more grunt to it. It's actually not legal where I live.

But I've found that the police just don't seem to care very much about these bikes. The only horror stories I've heard (in person) came from people who just walked up to me and started talking. And in most cases I had a strong feeling that they were just making it up or repeating something untrue that someone else had told them.

If you ride like a level-headed and responsible member of the traffic community, then it seems like the police don't have a problem and it's likely that none will ever get curious about whether your bike is legally perfect or not.

Back