suddenly bogged out won't start

BWB

Local time
6:38 AM
I have a Wildcat PK80 bottom end recently added the fire breather kit from Jakes. It came with a ported jug, Mikuni VM18 carb, intake, cut on piston and the diamond head. Got it all installed and it worked great. I was just nearing the end of my 16 to 1 mix break in period when it died on me and wouldn't restart. I have spark so I made sure everything was tight and tried to start it. It tried to run but I had to keep pedaling and it would just bog out when I gave it gas. So I drained the tank and checked both fuel filters and they were good. I removed the carb and without taking it apart looked for debris inside. Found none. Put the carb back on and put the fuel back it the tank it still won't start. I read in here that the crank seals leaking might be a possible cause for these conditions but I'm not sure how to get to them so I can look at them and do a soapy water bubble check. Is this a good path to be following? Any advice welcome.

I would first check for clogged muffler or a bottom end full of fuel - if seals go bad, they usually show fuel/oil residue around them - if you want to test with water, take the mag off first as it doesn't like to get wet

Thanks crassius I'm fairly sure the pipe is ok because I added some holes at the exit. It's one of those bannana expansion chambers with a round thing welded on the end. How would I check for fuel in the bottom end?

take out spark plug & pedal it to see if liquid blows out plug hole - loosening muffler just 1/8in will tell you if it was clogged

Sorry for the lag on my part. Recovering from recent surgery. Well it's not full of gas or plugged exhaust. But the spark it once had is not there anymore. Nothing coming from the magneto. So I pulled it to see if there was any sign of a leaking seal 080.jpg084.jpg

There is some but not a lot what do you think? Wondering whats normal for an engine with less than 500mi?

looks like metal dust and scrape marks on rotor - I'd guess that if you pried up on it with a screwdriver, you'd see movement in the end of the crank - bad main bearing will do that & cause an otherwise good seal to leak

Back