Play in Piston / Connecting Rod. Some ticking

willie634

Local time
1:26 AM
So what if the piston bearing has up and down play on connecting rod??

I get I ticking noise from top end when engine is hot. Only at certain throttle levels too. Engine vibration is mild, I don't tun it hard.

I've inspected top end and even gave head gasket a bigger opening. Some residue was chipped off, could I have done permanent damage?

I've tried a new bearing too, but they sit very loose in connecting rod :$

Last edited:
ticking starts when the engine gets hot.

I have a new engine, but this one came with a thicker gasket. I did put a thinner regular one in and perhaps that could have started the sound. Kinda sounds like a jackhammer but not intense.

I have been adding more gasket under head. I will have to try more...

I am really just wondering if vertical play is normal at the connecting rod / piston bearing?. If the damage was permanent it would make the sound while cold too right?

if your piston has been hitting head, then play happens as the piston or rod gets hammered

not too often that this happens tho

Thanks crassius

Somewhat got some success yesterday.

I put in 3 bottom gaskets!!

Wow most low end power I have ever had!! Low vibration and little loss of top end. Worth its own thread!!

The ticking went very quiet too which was amazing. After 30 and engine very hot ticking came back almost as loud as before.

Might add another bottom gasket and round edges of piston slightly. But will try in cold again today

unless you've changed the cylinder or piston from what came with the engine, it seems strange for it to be hitting the head - if all is standard, then I'd guess a bad bearing is making the piston fly up loosely

you may have serious problems coming in near future if it isn't sorted out soon

FIXED

Great success today. Now that I figured out the issue I pulled new engine out of box. Guess what.. no vertical in piston bearing.

My engine came with a thicker gasket than normal, when I had put regular gasket in it, I guess it caused damage.

I installed new engine with 4x BOTTOM GASKETS. Gaskets are just under .030 and when compressed just over .020.

Not taking any chances on this one so made bottom gasket extra thick then used regular head gasket. 3rd engine already. What an ordeal to figure out. But so happy now

IMAG1339.jpg
IMAG1341.jpg
IMAG1343.jpg
IMAG1345.jpg

It didn't take very long for new engine to start ticking.

Now only a few weeks and as soon as engine warms ups it has ticking noise, mostly at slightly faster speeds

I live in a hilly area at it gets quite hot I'm sure. I wonder if it's just a crapy model of engine..

lost track over last few weeks - this is motor you modified when you got it?

noise can often be due to leaking head gasket, you might want to check torque

Two new motors from one supplier. Both developed and ticking and eventually knocking noise. Like an intermittent jackhammer sound. No knocking when cold.

I check head torque daily in beginning. I'm sure sound is coming from wrist pin area.

Also I have switched to ethanol free and would like to not let ethanol touch new engine. Ethanol free doesn't seem to make ash buildup and even cleaned out ash from ethanol.r

The connection rod says "Z-L" or "7-Z"
IMAG1351.jpg

rod bearings usually are good or bad - if no play is felt, then they are usually good

is this an engine you modified?

Back