LWB recumbent motor bike

Elmo

Local time
2:27 PM
I am building a recumbent to motorized. It will be a shifter bike.
Elmo image.jpg

Jackshaft

I bought this jack shaft from Staton inc. With it I can use the engine or the pedals or both at the same time. I have two freewheel sprockets, one to the engine and one to the pedals and one solid sprocket to the rear wheel. That gives me seven gears. I used a rear dérailleur to tension the front chain so I can shift between the three front chain wheels.image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Harbor Freight 2 1/2 hp engine with a 18.5 to 1 gear reduction from Staton Inc. I built the motor mounts from 1" aluminum bar stock and the plate from 3/8" alunimum plate. Lots of chain adjustment!image.jpg

Last edited:
Throttle linkage

I made the throttle linkage today from bits and pieces that I had lying around. Used a mountain bike brake lever for a throttle and a cheap part of a rim brake to terminate the cable. Works very well and is adjustable! Stan Smith of Stans Rock and Roll bike shop gave me a MB brake cable that was nearly long enough. I added a foot or so to it using a brass screw clamp from a ceiling fan safety cable to hook them together.image.jpgimage.jpg

Gas tank

The gas tank is going to be a bit tougher due to not much room. I am looking at a seat post as a mount. The tank is sitting on a seat tube in the picture below. I have the seat post and tattered seat from the Trek mountain bike that donated the rear triangle on the recumbent? I think the seat support rods can be heated and bent to fit the tank and blazed to it. We will see. The tank is one gallon made from a piece of 6" exhaust tubing.
Elmo

image.jpg

We may need to plan a ride. For some years now Ive planned on cycling the Natchez Trace and camping along the route. Initially I thought I'd do it on my road bike.

Now that I've built my motorized bike (drop vehicle) I think it would be just as fun doing it with power and pedal assist. I'd let you decide what time of year would be best as you'll be more familiar with your weather patterns, though I've lived in Mississippi from 1961 to 1975 and then from 1978 to 1981. After graduating from Mississippi State I took my bride and moved back home to Arkansas.

Sure would be more comfortable on a recumbent. I figured on my road bike I'd plan for 2 weeks. On these motorized bikes we could easily do it in 4 or 5 days. Make it a week and we could lolly gag and do some exploring along the route.

Friends trace ride

Some years ago a friend and I planned a trip from the northern end to Natchez. I had built a TE clone for both of us. When the trip time came up I fell ill really ill. He made the trip alone with his wife driving sag and staying in motels. He made the 440+ mile ride in 3 1/2 days. I couldn't have made that ride on my best day but when we rode together he matched my pace.
Elmo

Some years ago a friend and I planned a trip from the northern end to Natchez. I had built a TE clone for both of us. When the trip time came up I fell ill really ill. He made the trip alone with his wife driving sag and staying in motels. He made the 440+ mile ride in 3 1/2 days. I couldn't have made that ride on my best day but when we rode together he matched my pace.
Elmo

That's a pretty serious daily pace, day after day. My goal is to enjoy the trip! Just like doing the AT in 47 days doesn't appeal to me either. I had a local man hike the 212 mile Ouchita Trail here in Arkansas in 45 hours from start to finish which means start the timer and 45 hours later he was at the other end of the trail. No fun!

I'm a bit of an adventurer but I do it for fun and enjoyment. Early spring would be nice other than the rain. Perhaps May? Next option would be October or November.

image.jpgGot the gas tank installed. Used a seat post and re shaped seat rail. A little tinkering and it will be test ride time.
Elmo

Back