LWB recumbent motor bike

I have a small problem. I thought that the sprockets on the engine used #41 chain, not so, too wide. I have a very steep hill leaving my house and it threw the chain, tighter didn't help. I put on an old single speed chain and it slips. Neither bike shop in town has that size chain. Tomorrow I will go to (gag, choke) Walmart and Kmart to see if I can find one. It really pulls strong until the chain quits. If I can solve this problem it is going to be a winner.
Elmo

Finally it runs with no problems. It climbed the big hill at half throttle. I rode about three miles around the neighborhood and everything worked fine. I am going to put about 100 miles on it before tear down, cleanup and paint.
Elmo

image.jpg

First Trip

Went on a shakedown trip today. Everything worked fine. Hit 36.9 mph on flat ground and still had two higher gears. I don't think it will go much faster than this without the fairing. It will cruise at 30+ all day long. This engine has 2500 miles on it.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Fairing installed

I installed the zipper fairing today and rode about 8 miles. Hit 38.8 today I think it will do 40 if I get more room.
Elmoimage.jpg

very, very nice build, elmo! she looks like a very clean and aerodynamic build! 38.8 mph is no joke for a MAB. i've just bought my first factory built recumbent, an old used bikeE, and am ready to start a lowracer custom build for my GEBE kit.

Thanks. Good luck with the lowracer. I imagine that will make you scratch your head a time or two. There is a site called recycled recumbents that has a lot of info on building a easy racer type recumbent, very solid info, if you are interested in that kind of bike.
Have fun.
Elmo

Back