Can a China Girl be Bored out to fit a 52mm Piston?

Leroybrown420

Local time
3:51 AM
Can a China Girl's cylinder head be Bored out to fit a 52mm Piston? Just out of curiosity, can this be done?

If so, what are the pros and cons?

If not, why?

$_35.JPG

Last edited:
You might be able to get away with it but then you'd have to replate the inner cylinder which is costly.
But if you want to perfect this setup then that's the way to go, a good piston/rings and a replated cylinder. The standard rings have too much ring end gap which loses compression, and the lining wears off if you increase the compression which is necessary for more power.
http://www.uschrome.com/chromium-on-aluminum
send them the piston/rings also so they can hone it down till the ring end gap is correct.

also, a steel sleeve could be installed allowing some modification of port timing

Can a China Girl's head be Bored out to fit a 52mm Piston? Just out of curiosity, can this be done?

If so, what are the pros and cons?

If not, why?
It has already been done with a 50 mm piston and iron liner.

How much would you pay for this?

Yes, you can sorta buy one now.......

PS: The correct word is cylinder, not head. You don't bore heads out.

I wouldn't pay much, I'm a total cheap ass. I'm after the cool factor with no budget. I do have a new "cylinder" head that was machined wrong. The piston drops in the top but will not make a turtle head (tapered). Was trying to find a purpose for it greater than hold down my parts bin.

Was there any noticeable difference in performance on the 50mm piston? Did it run hotter?

I have always hoped that someone would manufacture a big bore top end cylinder kit for these engines
Mark Clyde Stewart sells 50mm big bore kits for $150. I don't know if it's just a jug or piston, wrist pin, and rings are included.

What are Mark Clyde's contact details, and does he have a web site?
I want his 50mm big bore kit.

Actually i want his 60mm big bore kit.

Back