Petcock Thread

rananthan3

Local time
1:33 PM
The threading on the below frame for the petcock is not correct. I insert the bolt and it just rotates without catching the threads.

http://www.gasbike.net/skyhawk-gt2a-bike-frame.html

I tried to hammer the petcock in and used yellow teflon tape to prevent leaks but this a workaround. anyone know an alternative besides using a tap?

pics below

with teflon.jpgwithout teflon.jpg

Do you have an assortment of spare bolts?

All you need to do is find one that fits perfect into the tank hole and take that to a hardware store to find a petcock with the same threads.

Note...
You can get a fitting, like maybe a 90 fitting that will go into the tank and also fit your petcock at the other end so take the petcock with you too.

I don't know what you have local but around here I have stores that carry things like that and they are staffed by usually smart cooperative people.

I appreciate your wisdom. I will keep hunting for it. The one I have is a millimeter too wide.
The stock kit petcock thread is 10 mm 1.0 which fits my frame.
However the threaded fitting on yours looks different.

Those frames may be NPT thread now which is tapered.
NPT thread petcocks are very common.

Thanks guys for the help. I called gas bike dot net and they said the frame was not NPT threaded and that their petcocks are the correct size. He suggested I clean the threads out with a wire brush. I'm pretty sure its defective. The way it's in there now is pretty snug. I found a bolt that fits so I'll try the 90 degree fitting. If the gas doesn't leak, I don't need to do anything :D Has anyone lost a crotch on these things?

1/8 FIP for the Skyhawk Frame.
Do you have a Skyhawk frame?

What petcock did you use and where did you get it from?

Some "Skyhawk" frames use the stock 10 mm 1.0 thread for the fuel valve.
I know this because that is what threads into the frame I have.

Back