Which one should I go with?

chevy383

Local time
6:32 AM
Building a new bike and dont know if I want a 2 stroke or 4 stroke. I have a 2 stroke and I like having the clutch but I dont like fuel mixing and the smoke. I was looking at 4 strokes and heard they were more reliable and last longer. Whats your opinion?

Well, from what I've experienced I had A 66cc stinger 2 stroke a few years back but then switched to a 49cc 4 stroke. 4 stroke engines require very little maintenance but most transmissions for them are often poorly made, 2 strokes require more maintenance but unlike 4 strokes its easier to find pretty much any part you need for a 2 stroke problem is 2 strokes are higher maintenance. I thought about getting a 66cc flying horse 2 stroke for my cruiser because with 2 strokes you can mod them for more power pretty easily with things like racing carbs & higher compression heads unlike 4 strokes. I would get a 2 stroke just for something to tinker with and modify. If you want reliability 4 stroke is the way to go. I'm currently working on a Staton inc. friction drive bike & I'm going to get a 35cc Honda engine to make it very reliable for a daily commuter.

if lazy and slow get a 4 stroke
if you like to tinker and have a need for speed get a 2 stroke

Warming up a 2-stroke in the winter sucks... Not sure how it is for a 4-stroke. :eek:

2 strokes aren't too bad in the winter, once it idles off choke for a minute it's good. a lot of people are too zealous about engine temps.

doesn't take any longer to get my bike to op temp than it takes my truck

2 strokes aren't too bad in the winter, once it idles off choke for a minute it's good. a lot of people are too zealous about engine temps.

doesn't take any longer to get my bike to op temp than it takes my truck

Yeh, it wasn't too bad this morning with my 2-stroke. I wanted to pick up wind/rain resistance ski gloves from Menards - definitely helps over leather. The temperature was about 26F and it took me about 1/4 standard block of peddling to get it to the point where I can idle and revv it to warm up before I took off. And, that took about 30sec to 1min.

I just don't know what it is like for a 4-stroke. I would hope with a 4-stroke that I can take it out of the garage start it and go back inside for 1-2 mins come out and be good to go... :cry:

probably all in what you like - no way I'd ever ride anything that tries to take off with me whenever I blip the throttle a bit - I don't see any manual clutch 4 strokes

Back