Fuel Mixture Not sure if running too lean, or too rich, or perfect?

Ive got a .70 i put in my RT, it gets up to only 20-24 mph, and it 2 strokes through low and mid easily, but the high end 4 strokes.
Could i theoretically put a leaner jet in? or should I put a hotter spark plug in?

IMG_4038[1].jpgIMG_4039[1].jpg

Last edited:
Mine was the same as a Dax only from someplace else, and it was about a 70+. The plus is because it looked bigger than a dellorto 70, but not much bigger. Impossible to accurately eyeball these things, go with genuine dellortos or get a numbered drill set to be sure.
Don't be too surprised if you have to go much leaner than a 70. I did. With the k&n style airfilter, and the engine still breaking in, I had a dellorto 66 in it.
With the more restrictive dellorto airfilter, after broken in, it needed a 60 or maybe even a 58. I also have an extended manifold. That may make a difference.
Watch your temps and do short test runs of any new jet.

Last edited:
i could imagine putting it leaner, but it almost sounds like it wants to blow the head of the engine off. im not entirely sure if its seated right, but its not leaking out of the gasket. should i be less timid of my engines power and push it since its already had about 350+ miles on it?

i just worry about things blowin up under my crotch ya know. how could i tell immediately if it was too lean by listening? or by looking at exhaust?

Just try a BPR6HIX plug.
$10 and you may be sweet.

How many miles you have on it?

To jet it different is up to you. If you get the feeling something isn't right, that counts for more than an opinion from someone out here in forum land.
Like KC says, try the hotter plug, it won't hurt anything.

Well, according to this chart.
I should have a jet of .6685 so, rounded up to 7. Thats What I do have.
But being so close to the .65 that i have... I wonder.
Too dangerous? put a .65 in, or should I order a .67? XD
Jet Calculator.jpg

Back