all year round mb?fat tire?

Zackiriyah

Local time
10:59 AM
How are motorized fat tire bikes?how is it on pavement?.do you have any suggested bikes .or better bikes that I could go with for all year round use

I have little doubt that a fat bike would be good for winter and other rough surface use. But I think those tires are expensive. Plus chain clearance can be a bit of an issue.

What I do for winter is to buy some studded tires. Even that's slightly expensive. But it works.

I have little doubt that a fat bike would be good for winter and other rough surface use. But I think those tires are expensive. Plus chain clearance can be a bit of an issue.

What I do for winter is to buy some studded tires. Even that's slightly expensive. But it works.
isn't the frame size rim and tire bigger than your average bicycle?
Studded tires you say?I'm going traveling so depending on where I'll be headed hopefully winter time I'll be on the south side of US

"isn't the frame size rim and tire bigger than your average bicycle?"

Yes, they are bigger. There's no doubt in my mind that those bigger, wider tires must help with ride quality. But I have also found that a motor assisted bicycle will wear tires faster. Especially the rear. Those fat tires are notably more expensive than standard bicycle tires. So I'm a bit reluctant on that.

But I might be overdoing it there. Okay, tires are more expensive. But if they don't break the bank, then maybe it's worth it.

Also those wider tires are more likely than standard wheels and tires to rub against the engine chain. I think that most, if not all, fat bike builds require the builder to come up with some sort of off-set mount that moves the engine a bit toward the left.

Not that I mean to be discouraging. These are just a couple of issues that I've become aware of by listening to others. And they don't sound like they're enough to kill the idea. I might even give it a try myself one day. I've thought about it.

skip the fat tire bikes, they're too expensive to keep up with. just get some 3 inch wide kenda flames and put them on any rim you like.

How are motorized fat tire bikes?how is it on pavement?.
do you have any suggested bikes .or better bikes that I could go with for all year round use
I consider Fat Tire bikes anything with tires wider than the 2.25" Balloon tires on big beach cruisers.

I find 3" tires with non-aggressive tread to be most comfortable to ride and manage and 4" off road tires like this to be just a bit too much for road use.

2_MongooseFatFL-1280.jpg

Beside being a bit much for road tires you can's fit squat in that center cavity but a big battery, in the this case a 1KW 48V LI and 1.8KW electric motor.

Regardless of power source you are going to want to resign yourself to using the bikes right side drive to power the back wheel and not a new sprocket on the left for direct drive.

That being the case you want a bike with a geared rear hub and good brakes already on it.

The Sun Crusher with 3" tires is good bike with dual V-brakes, 7-speed and a huge cavity big enough for even a big 4-stroke engine but this one is a legal 48cc with and expansion chamber and shift kit and a real joy to ride.

SunFat66cc7sR.jpg

The Micargi Slugo is a pretty decent 7-speed with dual disc brakes.
It will take a 2-stroke and 4-stroke as well.

2_SlugoDoneLeft-Covers-1280.jpg

My latest fat tire fancy is the Fito Molena.
So much so there is a new Grube GT2A in-tank frame based on the Fitos wheels and brakes in the works.

It will take a 2-stroke and 4-stroke as well.
Imagine this with the top tube being a 1/2 gallon gas tank.

FitoDoneLF.jpg

2_10GfitoDoneL-1280.jpg

That 4-stroke shifter is the first 10G KCK shifter.

As mentioned above, flats are a concern so you always want to put a good tire liner between your inner tire and outer tube.

As far as road handling 3" rocks, especially with those Fito 3" Flame tires and HD Kenda tubes that come inside.
You can feel the meat on the road in turns and running them with about #25 of air they really take a lot of the road out.

Those are the basics, good luck on your build as some parts can be pretty challenging, but then again that is fun part, especially if you have a bunch of spare parts laying around ;-}

I'm picturing it with the built in tank and side covers with built in ram air vents cooling the engine and then pushing the heat down and away. Kinda incognito!

I've put several thousand snow miles on bicycle in Alaska, Iowa, and North Dakota, had to do it on the cheap because I was poor most the time.

The best inexpensive snow tire I have found is the Comp III/K50 tread pattern or clone that was put on millions of cheap bicycles.

I'm sure most of you have seen this tread pattern :D They seem to be getting hard to find in 24" tho, and sizes larger than 26x2.125 are very rare.

I've even modified those tires with "screw studs" for mean ice areas.

Attachments

• Comp3-K50.jpg
    Comp3-K50.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 449
Thanks guys this is all good to know.I'm not really sure I'm gonna go with this build but I do need to upgrade my frame and pretty much everything

My goodness, those are some beautiful bikes that KCVale posted, aren't they?

I'm a little reluctant to spend a bunch of money on a bike. But bikes like that make it tempting. Maybe one day.

Back