Engine Trouble Exhaust is spitting gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunne

Local time
1:13 AM
I've got a Chinese 66cc and have just upgraded to dax's racing carb and a wrap-around voodoo expansion exhaust. My bike sounds as though its turning over but no acceleration so matter how far I open up the throttle. Pulled off the expansion chamber and a bunch of gas was in the pipe. Figured it might be a spark plug issue or mix was too rich, so I replaced the stock plug with NGK b6hs and tried to do the kill switch test for the fuel-air mix, but the plug wasnt discolored at all, looked brand new. I disconnected the kill switch and still nothing. Did I blow out the cdi? Any suggestions?

I've also just switched out for a 36 tooth sprocket with clamshell adapter and #41 chain, but figured these details don't mean much

I don't know much about bikes with expansion chamber pipes, but if a bunch of liquid gas was in there I'd take a look at the carb float needle and seat, to make sure it isn't flooding. The stuck open needle would cause your engine to run so rich it won't really pull at all.
Clean it up good, any grit in there and it won't close. Check the float also, if it is 'wet' (leaking gas into itself) it will flood the engine.
Hope this helps.

spitting fuel, won't rev up - first thing I'd check here is motor full of fuel from bad float or petcock - does it smoke a lot too?

As far as the petcock, I've rethreaded the tank for an 1/8" and put in a nozzle from the hardware store. Got a 3/16" fuel line with inline shutoff and fuel filter.

I'll pull apart the carb and check everything, but how would I check if the motor is full of fuel?

Thanks guys

take out spark plug & pedal to see if liquid blows out

So I drained the tank & carb, removed the carb, turned the bike upside down and pedaled until no more gas sprayed out. I'm using a ngk b6hs plug and have replaced the stock cdi w/ the jaguar performance cdi/ignition. Changed the carb needle to the leanest notch possible, and still wont rev up. Pulled the plug and it's still not discolored at all, smells like gas.

You didn't mention if you cleaned that float needle and seat. If it's dirty the gas will leak into the carb uncontrolled.
You should also make certain your new gas shut off in the line actually shuts it off. My original kit shut off started leaking by, I caught it while the carb was off to change the jet and the gas line dribbled all over my flat black clutch cover.

not reving up can be caused by fuel still in motor - if running it for several minutes (while it smokes a whole bunch) doesn't get it to straighten out, then you may have gasket or seal problems

look for leaking at head gasket & along case seams - if dry, then check in clutch & mag for seepage

Have you torqed your head nuts?
Sounds like a compression leak to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back