Using RC plane gas engine

aForcefulThrust

Local time
9:29 AM
Anyone try using an engine like one of these made for RC aircraft? They seem to have high HP ratings for their engine size. I'm not sure how accurate they are though.
77848.jpg

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=80

The r/c plane engines are too small, and get really hot without 60 mph wind blowing through the fins. Their bearings couldn't take the stresses of sprockets and chains hanging on them. They turn big propellers moving a lot of air. The planes fly faster than our bikes will go. They make very little power off idle, only when cranking do they put out some HP.
I never heard of anyone trying it.

You might try one of those bigger gasoline engines, like from a weed whip on a friction drive, maybe. I have a 38cc Ryobi that turned an 18X6 prop 6700 RPM. Leave the cooling vanes on the flywheel and keep the shroud.
It's about 1.8 HP, I think.

Last edited:
they work fine....with the correct choice of engine and the correct attachment method.

let me see now...there is the robin/subaru 25 and 35cc engine...both sold as converted engined for planes( as the fuji-imvac). with double the price tag of the same engine as stolen from a brushcutter or leafblower etc...
nothing else is really suitable. if you want reliabilty/longevity.

heat is a concern, but the fourstroke engines are perfectly content with minimal airflow...if theyre run slightly rich and never at full load/throttle for too long. theres always ways to get around this...belt driven fan and shroud, etc etc...

the major concerns are that nitro/alcohol engines are thirsty... and the fuel costs a bomb (also how these small engines get such good power to weight ratios) and while petrol is cheap...most RC engines require oils in the ratio of 5:1 or so to retain sealing. that is, the saito FG30, OS, YS, ENYA, etc etc etc...all their "gas" engines are simply "nitro" engines converted with a spark plug and carb to run petrol.

a similar size petrol engine makes half the power of a nitro engine, but use 1/4 the fuel...

oh, and they have no flywheel, as the propellor is the flywheel.

the CDI units require battery power, and a PWM signal from the radio unit to work. safety first...the engine must DIE INSTANTLY if radio signal is lost.

the example pictured may look nice, but open rockers mean you have an ornament, not a practical transportation device.

so, what you are looking for is a small fourstroke, self contained/powered CDI, with a oil-bath crankcase...not premix!

or stick with 2 strokers, in which case zenoah is the first that comes to mind, and at that point...why pay premium for what you can also steal from a brushcutter etc?

except there arent too many twin cylinder brushcutters around :wacko:

Back