4 stroke oil help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikejock

Local time
2:24 PM
I'm getting my engine kit next week and was wondering what oil should I get for the HS 49cc 4 stroke engine? I'm thinking of going with Mobil 1 for the brand since it's an oil brand that my family always uses and hasn't let us down yet. What type is best for the engine I'm getting? I'm thinking of just going with a 4 stroke synthetic car oil type but I wanna know before I get any oil so I don't wreck my engine after the first week.

Last edited:
MBR can't get no ***** lately. Use 5-30 of any quality oil you'll be ok.

Thanks darwin. I was wondering those numbers most of all. I know it takes 4 stroke oil obviously but I know certain engines can be picky (especially smaller 1 cylinder bike engines) on what type of 4 stroke oil to use. Before I was used to mixing any decent 2 stroke oil on my first motorized bike which was a stinger 66cc 2 stroke on a basic road bike. So to be clear you mean 5W-30 right?

darwin **** ***** *****

Go to the source.
http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/engines/pdf/manuals/37Z4C603.pdf

SAE 10W-30 is recommended for general use.
Other viscosities shown in the chart may be used when the average temperature
in your area is within the indicated range.

Use 4-stroke motor oil that meets or exceeds the requirements for
API service category SJ or later (or equivalent). Always check the
API service label on the oil container to be sure it includes the
letters SJ or later (or equivalent).

I believe a 5w30w will lube on startup quicker than a thicker oil, others will disagree. They say most engine wear occurs during startup hence my reasoning. Mobil one has a lot of good press going for it, change intervals are longer too justifying it's cost. Personally I like Valvoline maxlife 5w30, it's a syn blend where you get the best of both worlds. Good luck on your build.

I believe a 5w30w will lube on startup quicker than a thicker oil, others will disagree. They say most engine wear occurs during startup hence my reasoning. Mobil one has a lot of good press going for it, change intervals are longer too justifying it's cost. Personally I like Valvoline maxlife 5w30, it's a syn blend where you get the best of both worlds. Good luck on your build.

Thanks again. My first 4G kit is on its way in a FedEx big rig. Supposed to arrive by Tuesday or Wednesday.

I've used Shell Rotella T 15W-40 in my Huasheng for over 4 years. Rotella is a heavy-duty oil with zinc in it, which is good for hard-working small engines.

I have over 9K miles on my engine and it still runs like new.

Edit: regardless of the brand of oil you use, i recommend breaking the engine in on non-synthetic. Synthetic isn't really necessary IMHO, anyway.

One other question I forgot to ask is, how often would I need to change the oil in a 4 stroke? Isn't it every 1,000 miles?

I change mine every 3 months. With these engines, it's more of an "hours" interval than miles. If you don't have an "hours" meter, then every 3-6 months should be fine.

The GXH50 manual says to change oil once in the first month, then every 6 months or 50 operating hours thereafter. Every 25 hours for severe duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back