Engine Trouble bike wont start

tony4043

Local time
5:08 PM
Has spark, has gas, bike stopped all the sudden and wont start. Turns over but wont start. Checked carb, tried different carb. Clutch is fine. Checked crank seal on engine chain side but it looks good no leak. Seems to have compression. New spark plug and cap.. Can a crank seal be bad even if no leak appears? Thats all we can think of.

I had a bad CDI a couple times that wouldn't spark at pedaling speed, but when cranking fast with plug out, it sparked OK - no fix except to replace it.

Have had many CDIs that died while making a good spark, but at wrong time - search on the forum about how to make a timing mark to check that.

Also you mention a suspected bad crank seal. But I'm having a hard time seeing the connection to a simple no-start condition.

If you could explain what makes you think this seal is preventing start-up, that might give us some more clues about your trouble.

oops, sorry about the timing mark thing - it is on the other forum since it has a lot of pics that won't upload here : (

I just installed a new CDI and a new Magneto and spark plug but it still won't start. I checked for spark with the new electrical set up and the spark is good but still will not start. Acts like it wants to but just will not. Also cleaned the carb. Same feeling as before new electrical components installed. Any help is appreciated

Last edited:
remove the drain screw from the bottom of the bowl and turn on your pepcock, you should have a constant free flow of gas(use a cup or something) check your needle setting, you may be getting too much or too little gas. also check for any vacume leaks around your intake , check to make sure your choke is engaging and disengaging too, sometimes the bolt gets lose and it floats around.

fuel flow seems good . has spark please take a look at video and listen to the sound.

[video]https://youtu.be/_mFSbUBYLTo[/video]

Be ready to ride it....then remove the plug . put about a good tablespoon of gas mix in the sparkplug hole and immediatly replace plug and try it...see if it trys to start. I once had too much oil in the gas & bike would not start

be sure new mag has flat side toward the case (seen a lot put in upside down)

watched the vid & had several fresh motors take a LOT more peddling than that to get started (gets easier after break in)

Back