Dual gas tanks on a Schwinn Delmar

Wolfshoes

Local time
1:55 PM
By the time I fixed some fit and ride problems I had a second tank on my bike. The first problem was a popping problem with the rear tire. It appeared the factory coaster brake had a out of round problem and was catching on the hub creating a pop. To cure that problem I installed a new Falcon coaster brake from Ben's Cycle. After I did, the axle was longer than the original providing a attachment point for a rear carrier support. I bought Banjo Brothers grocery pannier bags for the factory welded rear carrier but the bags extended above the carrier preventing the use of a basket to bring a pie home from the store. In order to install the wire basket, I used a accessory rear tank sold for motor bikes to rise over the pannier bags. The pannier bags also happened to conceal the gas tank for a better appearance. The gas tank came with its own metal rear carrier that did not fit a bike well, but by grinding the rivets and removing the supports and installing them upside down to the axle, support was provided to weak factory welded carrier. The tank was also Kreem coated and a tee added to the fuel line joining the 1.5 liter classic black tear drop tank in the front. The front tank holds 50 oz of fuel, good for about 50 miles of riding. Because the rear tank does not empty completely, and a internal metal tube prevents it from being filled completely, the tank holds about 33 oz of fuel. To allow trapped air at the top of the tank to escape and allow for about 17 oz of additional fuel storage, a vent tube would need to be installed on the rear tank. With dual tanks, I can use the larger tank and know my remaining range when I switch to the second tank. It is possible to have both tanks open at the same time allowing the fuel in the front tank to fill the rear tank, and only have to fill the front tank. With both tanks filled there has not been a problem of the bike being too top heavy for the factory kick stand. The tank and basket support also provides a attachment point for a tail light and reflective tape. The pannier bags are removable and are large enough to hold a helmet while shopping. Generally, I step through to get on the bike and throw a leg over the back of the bike to get off. A build on a 20 or 24 inch rear tire would be better when using a rear basket to make it easier to get on and off.

100_0761.jpg100_0764.jpg

Center stand works well, or add a rear kick stand that attaches to both stays not just the chain stay. Nice looking bike.

I like those fenders! My road bikes naturally don't have fenders and I have been caught out in the rain before and don't like it without fenders. I'm going to put some type of fenders on my 29er.

This is an update to the earlier post about dual gas tanks. The rear carrier gas tank was mounted in a similar position to the Japanese bike it was copied from with the fill cap and the outlet to the front. The problem with this is in riding up hill. All the gas pools in the back of the tank and the engine runs out of gas. The tank could be mounted turned around, but the fuel outlet and long fuel line would be more vulnerable. A internal hose in the tank could move the pickup to the rear as a option; but the shape of the tank bottom is set to drain to the other end. It may be more practical to have a box mounted on the rear carrier holding a bottle made for fuel and if needed, poured into the traditional top bar mounted tank. No rear fuel lines.

I'm debating setting up the option of a 2nd tank too. I have a gravity feed tank now that contains about 50 miles of fuel and a water bottle mounted fuel bottle that contains another 50 miles. I could either carry a small 2 gallon gas tank along in a side basket or build a permanent tank in the bottom of side basket and pt fuel in it when need arrives. Most of my riding will be local. Will occasionally use it for adventure sports. Will try and do some recontour rides for adventure. Small ones at first and them a few longer ones to see how I like it. I'm building my bike primarily for adventure. As I've gotten older, I'm realizing my adventure years are rapidly diminishing like many of our icebergs. Some of the things I could once do safely, now are becoming less safe due to the increased risk of injury. On a backpacking trip all it takes is a twisted ankle and suddenly you have a serious problem. When up hangliding 10,000 feet in altitude above your day in and day out aclimation level with heart problems, one event could be catastrophic. Canoeing in big water with all this flooding going on, one big haystack and now your swimming in fast cold water in the middle of nowhere and miles from transportation.

That being said, I'd much rather lose my life chasing adventure than years later die in a nursing home choking on applesauce.

Back