43 Mph Huffy Cranbrook!

Hi Everyone!:D

I build a 66cc grubee motorized huffy and I did a couple of upgrades now I get 43 mph.

The handling is not bad but a those speed I would like to get more stability.:D
Any advices?

I did the folowing mods:
Head shaving
correcting the transfer ports
porting
port matching
jaguar torque pipe
homemade boost botle
32 tooth sprocket
IMG_0342.jpgIMG_0404.jpgIMG_0406.jpgIMG_0408.jpgIMG_0410.jpg

Hope you have a helmet and are caught up on your prayers....its a bicycle not a motorcycle....Simply not meant for those speeds..

Hi,
Yeah, I wear a full face helmet, a jacket and gloves, safety isn't an option when you ride fast :helmet:

A heavier front wheel makes the motorbike less twitchy at speed. Try to find a front wheel from an industrial bike like a Worksman.

Hi,
Thanks for the answer, I will try to find a heavier wheel in the town.
Is a double wall rim heavier than a single wall?

I'd say you can call it fast enough for now.

Now make it be able to stop just as fast!

All I can see in the pictures to stop you is the stock $89 Huffy Cranbrook's coaster brake.

Just for your information that back wheel is the most unreliable piece of junk to ever be put on a bicycle and a main reason the thing is under $100.
Do want just THAT to be your ONLY way to stop at 40+?

Absolutely NO motorized bike is safe to operate with only a coaster brake, period.

It's all fun and exciting to go real fast, and you may be the best bike rider in the world riding where there is no traffic, but the day will come when something gets in front of you and you won't be able to stop in time.
This never ends friendly for you bud, trust me on this.

Throw a pair of C-brakes on it to a dual pull brake lever behind the throttle, ~$35, save the coaster brake for emergency stop before that Huffy hub gives out, and keep the pads fresh.
As we say, 'its better than nothing', but if you want to mess with the front wheel look into maybe a new front fork with at least a V-brake mount or a drum brake front hub.

Just my 2¢ on common sense safety.

Or check your healthcare and gear up because right now you are really flirting with some really costly real bodily harm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I seriously think the the thing is fast enough!
I'm putting front disc brakes on the bicycle.

what is unreliable with te rear wheel? the rim? Spokes? Hub? Bearing?

In canada the cranbrook is around 150$ :(

Yeah I seriously think the the thing is fast enough!
I'm putting front disc brakes on the bicycle.
Nice.
Since you will be replacing the fork and wheel to go discs might as well get a shock front fork with brake bosses.
Maybe just a fork with disc and V brake bosses and a set of V-brakes first.
That way you don't have to spring $200+ more to go disc for now but have good front brakes.

what is unreliable with te rear wheel? the rim? Spokes? Hub? Bearing?
Everything inside the hub is iffy at best, otherwise a good wheel and you can upgrade the coaster brake inside.
The thing is, most don't and I seen what was left after a motorized fail on a few.

I'd just keep a close eye on it.
Hold your frame with one hand and see if you can push the wheel back and forth.
The hub shouldn't move on the axle.

Don't rely on that coaster brake, put a C-brake in back too bud ;-}

"Is a double wall rim heavier than a single wall? "
A steel rim will be heavier. I think most double wall rims are alloy/aluminum.

Hi everyone!

I just finished putting a disc brake on it.
Now the thing have braking power! :D
I used a pocket bike disc brake, I machined the fitting myself so it end up a 0$ :eek:

Since I removed the wheel to instal the disc brake I also trued up the wheel and put a good quality tube. Now the handling is sooo much better

I checked the rear wheel and it didnt have any play so it is good for now, i'll check it after every ride

IMG_0427.jpgIMG_0428.jpgIMG_0429.jpgIMG_0430.jpgIMG_0432.jpgIMG_0437.jpg

Last edited:
Back