Jim's 1937 Columbia replica, with 66cc Flying Horse engine

Today, I returned home and for the first time, mounted my Flying Horse 66cc engine and I am very disappointed with how un-level the carb. is. The rear mount is solidly mounted and the engine is as low in the rear as possible (very near the chain guard) so, I'm not sure how to correct the tilting problem??

003.jpg

Add to that, the carb. is too close, and even under the horizontal tube, a full 1/2".. making the high performance air filter impossible to use.

001.jpg

I'm happy with everything else. I'm just not sure how to correct the tilted carb?

I wonder if I'm just overlooking something?

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated... :cry:

002.jpg

Sprocket Wobble?

Looks great!
Now would be a good time to test fit it again with side covers.

Well, the tank fits well, but

I'm doing last, what most people do first.... the rag/sprocket. I filed the hole just right so, it is a good fit around the dust cover and as a result, I don't get any up and down movement BUT, I was getting a terrible 1/8th" wobble. At first, I thought I had a warped sprocket.... no, my only problem was a lack of patience... I took off one of the two rubber rings and only used one and with patience, I got the sprocket running straight and true! :cry: Now, it's time to get the engine secured... Photos, to follow......

I can see the end of the tunnel coming............... (y)

Last edited:
Making Progress

I've been working like a dog on the bike and have been putting photos off until I had some good progress to show.

This is where I am now... I love the idea of an antique replica, so, I'm trying to stay in the antique style as much as possible..... (Leather seat and tool holder)

028.jpg

012.jpg

Now, call me "Captain Overkill" but I made a couple of mods., that I like. Both of them deal with the support of the engine. Here is the first idea that just popped into my head as I was thinking of the possibility of the engine shifting downward. (even 1/4" would rest it against the tin chain guard.... which would create an unbearable amount of noise) so, with just a pine 2X2, I very meticulously cut this wood to support the weight of the back of the engine (taking a tremendous responsibility off of the two small bolts trying to hold the engine in place) Note, it is difficult to see, but the wooden support is not supporting the aluminum spacer, but the actual engine case.....

001.jpg

Covered with a piece of painted aluminum and using two zip ties.... it is inconspicuous.

004.jpg

The Second Mod.

The second mod., that I really like, is the front engine mount. It's a beefy 3/16" piece of 4130 steel 2 3/4" wide and 3 1/2" long. As I've shown in prior photos, I used JB Steel Weld Epoxy Putty to fill in the half-round hole that usually grips the down tube and you can see the epoxy tabs and the front large washer keep the engine from wanting to move any direction. With the 5/16" U-bolts, that engine is as solid as a rock!

View attachment 56822

002.jpg

The Wall-mart tank had to be widened. Some black ABS plastic I had, was a quick and simple way of covering the gap, over the inner epoxy tank. Notice that the gas cap is canted off to the right.....

View attachment 56824

View attachment 56825

Last edited:
A few more photos

I found a leather seat and tool holder that seemed to fit the retro theme, though work will have to be done on it to make it solid. It adds 5 LBS to a 65 LB bike, but, I think it's worth it.

View attachment 56826

View attachment 56827

The bags, I received in the mail today, seem a little too large, so I'll probably diminish their size some way.

View attachment 56828

Tomorrow, I will seal my gas tank with the Caswell tank sealer... I've got my rubber gloves all ready! I still have the 415 chain to install, but I'm getting closer to firing it up. After two trips to the welder, the carb., finally ended up, just right!

View attachment 56829

Thank you guys. This is my first build, so everything is really a challenge for me. I called the lower mount a "modification", but actually, it is just a more heavy duty double-U-bolt adapter that is sold by ?? one of the companies. But, yes, I did modify the idea of adding the "stops" on the top, bottom and the half-moon void. {I seem to have empathy for the small bolts who's job it is to hold this giant, vibrating mass of metal in place} :D

Looking great bud, you did a fine job.

Thanks KC. Today is Caswell Day! It's just over a one gallon tank. (I will also coat the outside of the tank; especially around the three fittings) so, maybe I should call it a two gallon tank. So I was thinking of using 75% inside and the 25% remainder, on the outside. The epoxy, that was used to build the tank, is gas resistant, but I don't believe "ethanol proof" so, I want to protect it, inside and out.

Man, that customized gas tank really made the bike so much more time-consuming! I'm sure that it way more than doubled the time spent. That "peanut tank" is looking more and more appealing all the time! lol

I will have the 415 chain to install next. I've read that the drive sprocket teeth should be filed on the ends? Is this true?? I'm guessing that I should just take off any burrs on the tips, that were left behind from the factory??

PS Captain Overkill is at it again. After sealing the inside of the tank with the Caswell, after is't set up, I'm adding a little extra protection from drips, by filling a JB Weld "reservoir" on the outside of the tank, around each of the three fittings, where I will fill the 3/16" deep reservoir with Caswell resin. The fittings will be encased in in the Caswell on the inside and out. Just a little more insurance against drips.

011.jpg

Last edited:
New Seat Post

Found out that the beautiful but archaic "antique" leather seat (from India) is basically junk. I mean, it looks great, but a disaster in engineering. (definitely not German engineering) Anyway, when I found out that a simple vertical post would not work well for me.... I splurged for the extended/horizontal seat post to have something to anchor it to. It needs no less than 3 additional bolts to keep it from shifting on all three axis. It looks nice, gives me more leg room, and definitely fits in with the exotic theme.

I found a solution for the larger than desired canvas bags; I installed snaps which brought the 14"X14" size down to 10"X12". Now, they're expandable. :unsure:

004.jpg

Last edited:
Back