Engine Trouble New "Happy Time" starting issue - am I missing something?

also you need to remove the shellac from the stator coil frame where the screw heads rest. that shellac prevents current flow. those 4 spots are part of the current return path for the system.

by "coil" do you mean the stator coil at the left side of the engine?
the ignition system is crap. You replaced crap with crap.
other than that the only thing remaining is the crank seals. maybe they are leaking.
lower the needle completely and set the slide stop so that the opening is almost closed, maybe 1mm open.

Yeh, that's the coil I swapped. When I tested the spark after that it seemed maybe a little more potent, but obviously have no way of telling how its performing under pressure. Does anyone have a good source for better-than-stock parts for these things?

How would I test if the crank seals are leaking? I don't have a compression tester unfortunately.

By slide stop do you mean what looks like an idle adjustment screw or something else?

I'd like to know what the motor sounds like when you go to start it. It could be flooded; you could have a vapor lock preventing fuel flow. If you are getting what I call "warm run" but it won't pop and go, it is likely vapor lock in the fuel flow system.

I'd like to know what the motor sounds like when you go to start it. It could be flooded; you could have a vapor lock preventing fuel flow. If you are getting what I call "warm run" but it won't pop and go, it is likely vapor lock in the fuel flow system.

It sounds REALLY rough, rarely you get a very slight "pop" but mostly nothing at all encouraging.

>Does anyone have a good source for better-than-stock parts for these things?
check at Sick Bike Parts or JNMOtors

>How would I test if the crank seals are leaking? I don't have a compression tester unfortunately.
strip away the parts so you can see the seals then spray soapy water onto them and then turn over the engine. If the seals are leaking then bubbles will form.

>By slide stop do you mean what looks like an idle adjustment screw or something else?
yeah that adjustment screw.

"rough" usually means too rich. take it downhill with the fuel off and throttle open to clean it out. look to see that the plug is dry. then go down the same hill and spray starting fluid into the intake. If there is some compression and there is spark then it will run somewhat. then go down the same downhill with the fuel on. (make sure the needle is in lowest position)

Have you checked keyway on your magnet, it could have fallen out on assembly. You would still have spark, just out of time.

My best guess: you'e got some kind of vapor lock that is keeping the cylinder from getting the fuel it needs. If your fuel line is too soft, pressure could be causing it to close. Of maybe there is a bend in your line.

Once again, check the magnet on the mag-coil to make sure it hasn't slipped or turned...will put spark out time

Back