Gas Tank Baffling???

PocketBiker

Local time
11:11 AM
I'm getting ready to build a composite gas tank.... approximately 4" wide X 5" tall X 17" long. I've never ridden one of the motorized bikes and wonder how important it would be to put a baffle or two in, to separate the tank, into halves or thirds. Is the sloshing of gas noticeable, or a problem, I wondered. I was thinking, without one baffle behind the filler neck, when coming to an abrupt stop, is it possible for gas to try to spurt out of the cap? Now, I'm using the China Girl cap and I saw a report that gas did come out of his cap (which makes me wonder how normal that is?) But, I'll be starting my tank next week and any feedback concerning the importance or advantage of adding baffles in the tank would sure be greatly appreciated.... Even if you don't have an opinion about building baffles in the tank, I'd like to know if slashing is a problem in the "peanut tank" or any other tanks used for any of you motorized-bikers while riding...........??

Tanks!

Jim

I do get some gas out of my cap, baffle by cap couldn't hurt. Build it how you think is best, baffles would give more strength to tank.

I'm getting ready to build a composite gas tank.... approximately 4" wide X 5" tall X 17" long. I've never ridden one of the motorized bikes and wonder how important it would be to put a baffle or two in, to separate the tank, into halves or thirds. Is the sloshing of gas noticeable, or a problem, I wondered. I was thinking, without one baffle behind the filler neck, when coming to an abrupt stop, is it possible for gas to try to spurt out of the cap? Now, I'm using the China Girl cap and I saw a report that gas did come out of his cap (which makes me wonder how normal that is?) But, I'll be starting my tank next week and any feedback concerning the importance or advantage of adding baffles in the tank would sure be greatly appreciated.... Even if you don't have an opinion about building baffles in the tank, I'd like to know if slashing is a problem in the "peanut tank" or any other tanks used for any of you motorized-bikers while riding...........?? Tanks! Jim
With that amount of fuel sloshing isn't something that will effect ride, but I have heard it leaks a little.There are fuel resistant foam inserts, that perform two functions, stop sloshing and give you a visual fuel reading.

Fuel tank foam

With that amount of fuel sloshing isn't something that will effect ride, but I have heard it leaks a little.There are fuel resistant foam inserts, that perform two functions, stop sloshing and give you a visual fuel reading.

That's really interesting, Troy!

The very first thing that came up on my screen, concerning foam baffling, was a solution from SafeCrest Fuel Tank Foam. Apparently, you can buy 3" cubes for a reasonable $1.66/cube from Merlin Motorsports, but they are in England.

This company is here in the U.S. and found on eBay for $10!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tank-foam-a..._Watercraft_Parts&hash=item4d2dca57c4&vxp=mtr

What I like about it, is that, it is an after-build solution, non-abrasive insert, that can be reversed, if for some reason, I didn't like it.

I'm really thrilled to know about this, because building baffles inside the tank may seem easy, but it gets complicated for this amateur. I'm really glad to know that baffling can be dealt with, at any time.

Thanks Troy!

Jim

Attachments

• !BgLBzJ!CGk~$(KGrHqQH-DgEsMR!J2)0BLET,1w9Sg~~_12.JPG
    !BgLBzJ!CGk~$(KGrHqQH-DgEsMR!J2)0BLET,1w9Sg~~_12.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 338
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I too get a small amount of fuel oozing out of the gas cap.

Like they say...... "I know nothing of what I speak", but if the oozing bothers you, I'm guessing it can be eliminated for $10, as I have to believe the sloshing gas is the culprit! By the way, according to Safecrest (one of several manufacturers) the foam only displaces 1% of fuel. That seems fair.

Troy, are you sure, the sloshing doesn't effect the ride, or are you just used to it? I'm just say'in... :unsure:

Jim

Well, we wouldn't have to completely fill the tank, but that's is the suggested use. I think they were designed to use in race cars as a safety feature. Then, the companies realized that they could capitalize on motorcycles with sloshy tanks...... We have the advantage of having such small tanks that it wouldn't take much foam to fill. This kit offered here is just perfect!! It fills 1 gallon of space for $10! My tank is exactly, 1 gallon! :devilish:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331480717252?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Like they say...... "I know nothing of what I speak", but if the oozing bothers you, I'm guessing it can be eliminated for $10, as I have to believe the sloshing gas is the culprit! By the way, according to Safecrest (one of several manufacturers) the foam only displaces 1% of fuel. That seems fair. Troy, are you sure, the sloshing doesn't effect the ride, or are you just used to it? I'm just say'in... :unsure: Jim
I personally don't use them.I'm a friction/GEBE user, as such my gas is always in a antifreeze container either between my legs at shin level (diamond frame), or behind and beneath me on my recumbent.I honestly can't tell any difference other than liquid weight.I'm a straight line flyer, so maybe hard/frequent slalom would tell different, but as a commuter, no diff.

Back