Best bicycle for Friction drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifer

Local time
5:41 AM
Hey everyone, im about to order my first motor bike build. It'll be friction for sure.

I'm pretty set on getting the Staton kit with the 1 1/8 roller and Honda gx35 engine , (I'm a heavier dude).

What's the best bicycle to install a friction kit on? I live in AZ , so flat and not much rain.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks

You've picked the perfect setup, that size roller with the gx35 should drag you anywhere, never too fast, quiet quiet quiet.Remember to pedal up (you're the granny gear) and pedal assist on throttle up's and it will last many 1000 miles.

What bicycle would be your ideal one?

You've picked the perfect setup, that size roller with the gx35 should drag you anywhere, never too fast, quiet quiet quiet.Remember to pedal up (you're the granny gear) and pedal assist on throttle up's and it will last many 1000 miles.

Thanks man, what bicycle would you recommend? What setup do you have?

Nobody can answer that ? for you. There is no best for friction drive. Depends on your style and choices. Personally I like comfort/hybrid style bikes with a suspension fork. That Staton kit will put a smile on your face. Only real issue your going to have is what to do for a bigger fuel tank. The stock Honda tank will only take you 20 miles or so. You'll also want to use tire liners, thorn resistant tubes and a Kevlar lined tire...........If you really want to be happy get the Staton friction kit and then get the HS 49cc motor from Gasbike. Get the 1-1/4 roller with the FD kit and you'll have the best combo of speed and torque. With the 1-1/8th roller your going to have a lot of torque and a top speed of only 21mph. Once my roller wears out the 1-1/4 will be its replacement.

Nobody can answer that ? for you. There is no best for friction drive. Depends on your style and choices. Personally I like comfort/hybrid style bikes with a suspension fork. That Staton kit will put a smile on your face. Only real issue your going to have is what to do for a bigger fuel tank. The stock Honda tank will only take you 20 miles or so. You'll also want to use tire liners, thorn resistant tubes and a Kevlar lined tire...........If you really want to be happy get the Staton friction kit and then get the HS 49cc motor from Gasbike. Get the 1-1/4 roller with the FD kit and you'll have the best combo of speed and torque. With the 1-1/8th roller your going to have a lot of torque and a top speed of only 21mph. Once my roller wears out the 1-1/4 will be its replacement.

Thanks for the recommendation darwin!

What do you find to be the main difference between the HS 49cc and GX35?

Heck, put it on a fat tire bike, then you can play with it in the desert.

And it's not always dry here, tomorrow is supposed to very wet and of course we get the monsoon, maybe a fat tire would grip a little better.

Lifer, if you do decide to go with a HS 49cc from gasbike get the one with the clutch on it. Another issue is the tire size. My bike has 700c wheels and uses pretty thin tires. They tend to wear faster than say a 26x2.125 tire because of less surface area in contact with the roller. I put up with it because I love the bike and the way 700c wheels roll. That's an issue you may want to consider. Another issue is brakes, a bike that comes with front and rear brakes is better than a bike with just a coaster brake in my opinion.

Friction kits fit darn near anything and work well on rear suspension bikes. I'd build a beach cruiser with the Staton kit, but I'm very fond of beach cruisers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back