piston ring position

garrett.4

Local time
3:34 AM
I have taken off my head to replace it with a high compression head. While I had everything apart I changed all gaskets and my piston rings. Is there any certain position they need to be in when putting the cylinder body back on

garrett.4:
If the engine is a 2-stroke, the piston rings should be pinned so they can't rotate and catch an edge on the ports from the ring gap.
With four strokes, I usually just offset the ring gaps depending if it's a two, or three ring piston.
Keep in mind though - I don't claim to be a pro - just a tinkerer.

garrett.4:
If the engine is a 2-stroke, the piston rings should be pinned so they can't rotate and catch an edge on the ports from the ring gap.
With four strokes, I usually just offset the ring gaps depending if it's a two, or three ring piston.
Keep in mind though - I don't claim to be a pro - just a tinkerer.

It is a 2 stroke. What do u mean pinned so they don't rotate?

I have taken off my head to replace it with a high compression head. While I had everything apart I changed all gaskets and my piston rings. Is there any certain position they need to be in when putting the cylinder body back on
The ring end pins face the intake.
It's that simple.
Of course the ring ends have to be around the pins......

There are 2 pins in the piston on the intake side about 8 degrees or so off to each side.
The gap in your rings needs to match them to seat.

Back