Tecumseh 2 cycle

james65

Local time
2:18 AM
3-1/2 HP snow blower engine. Bike uses a centrifgual clutch and a manual variable belt setup.
Daiesy 172.jpgDaiesy 178.jpg

How did you work out the throttle? I had one of those engines, and it had only a governor with a fixed speed. Good engines, though.

How did you work out the throttle? I had one of those engines, and it had only a governor with a fixed speed. Good engines, though.

The carb on that engine is pretty standard(both bowl & diaphram type). I have used both types on other engines. Just disconnected the vane & spring and connected the linkage as with any other carb.

Very nice James, we have quite a few of the old Toro 2 stroke snowblowers around here still and the motors are excellent.

Very nice James, we have quite a few of the old Toro 2 stroke snowblowers around here still and the motors are excellent.

Well if they (Toro snowblowers) can survive in Buffalo NY then pushing a bike around should seem like a vacation!

Yeah James, actually, these machines get very little use during a winter here. Maybe less than a dozen per year. And the little Toros are still listed in Craiglist often.
They are loud, do not clog (like a 2 stage) don't throw very far and are good for only 6 to 8 inches of snow before feeling like you are pushing a dead mule. But are great tools.

At work, I snagged the old one from maintenance when they got a new one, and I use the old guy (toro s-200) to keep the R/D lab entrances and areas clear.
This is a 30 year old blower!

The key with these, is to drain and run dry the fuel system when spring comes or use fuel preservative.

Back when scrap was low I used to pick up curb sale blowers- they usually had plugged up carbs and very low usage.

6 to 8" I guess that's what they cal a dusting in Buffalo.
Yes they seem to be still found cheap, not working and as you said usually just a dirty carb.
I have a half dozen laying around. I started to convert two of them into a twin but other projects have in the way.
I turned the shaft down & milled the keyway while it was still in the engine.(kept the cyl lubed while turning the shaft.

Jim
PS: formerly a resident of Oswego NY
Yeah James, actually, these machines get very little use during a winter here. Maybe less than a dozen per year. And the little Toros are still listed in Craiglist often.
They are loud, do not clog (like a 2 stage) don't throw very far and are good for only 6 to 8 inches of snow before feeling like you are pushing a dead mule. But are great tools.

At work, I snagged the old one from maintenance when they got a new one, and I use the old guy (toro s-200) to keep the R/D lab entrances and areas clear.
This is a 30 year old blower!

The key with these, is to drain and run dry the fuel system when spring comes or use fuel preservative.

Back when scrap was low I used to pick up curb sale blowers- they usually had plugged up carbs and very low usage.

Nice! I built a bike with a 4/5hp 2 stroke Tecumseh engine, it was from a lawnmower but the same block is also used in snowblowers. image.jpgimage.jpg
The second pic is how it would look in a blower, maybe you've seen them before.

Pretty beastly engine (140cc), it really hauls on my bike, but the instant it develops even the slightest of air leaks there is a giant crankcase explosion/intake backfire (causing the carb and Bakelite intake elbow to go flying off the engine). The intake is all o-rings too, so I have to glue everything shut with gasket maker to prevent leaks.

How did you turn down the crank while still in the engine? Did you put the crank in a lathe and let it spin inside the engine (engine just riding on the shaft)? When I had to turn down my shaft to get a pulley on I ran a coarse file up against the shaft while the engine idled. Which turned out to be a horrible idea because the shaft wore down faster where the keyway was (less material to take away).

Back