Mongoose beast

I finally found some time to work on the Beast. I chopped frame up several months ago, Today I got the frame welded back together. I added 12" to lower tube, and added second bottom bracket for jackshaft. I won't need a chain tensioner for drive chain. I will need one on peddle chain. I still need to build motor mounts, springer frontend, and extend seatpost. I hope to have sometime to work on it next weekend.

Attachments

• WIN_20150104_214431.jpg
    WIN_20150104_214431.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,272
Cool. Looks like you are making room for a big four stroke in that frame.

I added 12" to lower tube, and added second bottom bracket for jackshaft.
I won't need a chain tensioner for drive chain. I will need one on peddle chain.
I still need to build motor mounts, springer frontend, and extend seatpost.
Wow, that is a radical change in the front fork rake.
Hard to judge but ~40° right?

You are going to need some seriously strong front forks to keep that big heavy front wheel from twisting or snapping it, and why you don't see choppers with fat front wheels.

Spinger forks sound like a really bad idea no matter how cool it would look.
Take a look at this page for some really great info and pictures about 'chopper' type front forks that will be able to handle huge front wheel.
http://chopperhandbook.com/forks.htm

Triple trees would probably be the best and least expensive to make, certainly easiest to get the length right.
Don't forget a disc brake boss or at least V-brake bosses since all the bike has now is a coaster brake.

Looks like a fun project and I look forward to seeing how it comes out, and more importantly, how it rides ;-}

Last edited by a moderator:
2015-01-13 20.46.57.jpg ~37 degrees/3.5" trail, triple trees. Had generator problems over the weekend, kinda set me back. Hope to have the generator back up soon. I can't do any welding without it, unless I weld in the house, that ain't going to happen.

2015-01-18 15.45.30.jpgGot the springer put together. It rides good for not being completely welded. Some play in front wheel at the moment, Once it is welded solid it should be an awesome ride. Time to start working on motor mounts. Fat tires are great in the snow, and pretty decent on the ice. I felt like a kid with a new toy.. WAIT, I am a kid with a new toy!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_20150201_132029.jpgIMG_20150201_132031.jpgIMG_20150201_132046.jpgIMG_20150201_132048 (1).jpg
The BEAST is alive! Took the BEAST for a test ride, lots of fun. Now time to tear it back apart, and get ready for paint. Still a lot to do, chain guard, I want a different tank (probably end up building one), figure out brakes of some kind, different seat, and a rear fender. Got a 66cc on the way, this 48cc was just laying around my place, the cns carb is junk probably only got up to 15 mph. 66 should be here by Friday?

I got my new 66cc at noon today, Couldn't wait to put it on and see what it would do. Took about 2 hrs to pull the 48 and get the 66 ready to go. Spent a good 4 hrs just putting around, wish it was already broken in. Surprisingly the new motor (engine for those that care) pulls this beast rather well, will pull me from a stop with out much trouble. I guess paint might have to wait until we get some more bad weather. This bike is a real blast to ride. Can't wait to get it broke in, so I can see what it will do.

Really cool build

wow, i really like the looks of that

great job!

as to paint, it looks handsome in its flat ratty state, i say keep an element of that

Back