Just started to misfire one day

so i just got my new cdi and i got a hd lightning. So i think i hooked it up right... i think, but still not working. i really doubt its the cdi this time considering its supposed to be the best one that you can buy. Do you know what ohms and what voltage should the be for the magneto?

mag should be one of 250, or 350, or 480 from the blue wire to a grounded head bolt (a really old mag may have a brown wire instead)

white wire (if present) should not be grounded

black wire should be grounded

do you know what voltage it should be putting out. Do you know if it will cause problems for the magneto if i cut the white wire off?

I've never found voltage critical - if it has the right ohms it works unless your magnet is damaged. Cutting white wire and taping the end so it can't touch ground is recommended by most folks here.

so what would you check if you just got a new cdi, new spark plug, im getting a reading of 324 on my ohms for the magneto and it still wont turn over. what can i do?

could be timing, but if it ran well before, I'd guess mag is OK

I'd say look for a clogged muffler, or loss of compression due to leaking gaskets or seals, and recheck the carb flow.

Back