Need lower gearing, but which gears ??

Using the ratio calculator:
I have a 5:1 pocket bike tranny, You have a staton gearbox. I'm not sure of your ratio but I think it is around 18.75:1

So I've got 5:1

12/44 = 3.67

24/34= 1.42

=25.97:1 = my lowest gear ratio

If I change my rear cassette and put the smallest on it(17) instead of (34) I get

Pocket bike tranny = 5:1

12/44 = 3.67

24/17= .71

= drive ratio of 12.99:1 is my highest.

See?!??!?!?

Which gear would propel you fastest when starting off ?? , highest or lowest ?

I appreciate the calculators but like I said my large rear(cassette) and small chainring is so high it will not propel the bike after a few pedal kicks.

My 34t would give me enough torque to get the bike moving without pedaling.
My 17t would give me top speed but would not start the bike moving in a forward direction without pedaling it first.

My 34t would give me enough torque to get the bike moving without pedaling.
My 17t would give me top speed but would not start the bike moving in a forward direction without pedaling it first.

And this is on the largest front chainring ? (48t) , thats really weird, thats the exact opposite of mine, I'm perplexed !! lol.

staton's gearbox is the overall basic gearratio that works for both torque and highspeed at 18.75:1. What you do with it after that thru chainrings, drive sprockets, cassettes changes it. The higher number the ratio to 1 it is the more torque and hill climbing power you will get. The lower number the ratio to 1 is the more top speed but less off the line torque you will get. Try using that gear ratio calculator I showed you.

I have tried all chain ring/cassette combinations, largest chain-ring 48t + smallest cassette 17t produces the highest engine rpm and as a result the most torque.

ok, after reading an article my terminology is off, I am looking for higher gears not lower ! So, how can I get higher gearing ?, lol.

High or Low?

"Higher" gears put more resistance on the pedals. If you select a gear that is too high for the conditions, it will force you into a slower cadence.

Pedaling slower than your ideal cadence is wasteful of energy. You also run a higher risk of muscle strains and joint damage, particularly to the knees and hips.

"Lower" gears make the pedals easy to turn, so it becomes easier to spin to a fast cadence.

Pedaling faster than your ideal cadence can allow you to generate an extra burst of speed, but you will tire yourself out too soon if you try to maintain an excessively fast cadence.

Low gear aka 1st gear is the smallest pedal sprocket in front powering the biggest sprocket on the rear cassette. Highest gear is using the biggest sprocket in the front powering the smallest gear in the rear. In 1st gear you pedal like crazy but don't go very fast and it's easier to pedal up hills. In the highest gear it's very hard to pedal and once going you get the most speed. Think about it, smallest sprocket in front powering the biggest in the rear. You have to pedal more revolutions to get the bigger sprocket going vs the highest gear which is the opposite. Think of a car and how 1st through 5th gear works...........hope that helps.

yes, I guess it's backwards with bikes as opposed to cars, iow, if I am driving in fifth gear on the hwy and start going up a grade I downshift to a lower gear to climb the hill. Anyway, I need higher bike gears to get the most out of this crank shift kit. In the ad-type Dave Staton claims this kit will "climb any hill", he goes on to say and I am paraphrasing you may even be able to go uphills that a motorcycle cannot due to going slower. Now, this may be true with high enough gears. My cassette is 14-34, I was gonna try maybe a cassette that starts with a 10 or even less (not sure what they offer), then the kit will be much more useful...Thanks.

Here is your best set up. It'll give you the widest range. Go from a 21 to a 24 speed. Get either a DNP 8 speed 34-11 freewheel or a 8 speed 34-11 cassette. You'll need an 8 speed shifter also. For the gear box get a 15t gear. The shiftkit comes with a 44t for the engine and 28t chainring so add a 36t and a 44t chainrings. This will be your shift pattern. Uphill and towing 1(1,2,3) which is 28(34,28,24). Level ground 2(3,4,5,6) 3(6) which is 36(24,21,18,15) 44(15). So 3(6) gives you 100% of your gear box output. Downhill 3(7,8) which is 44(13,11) these are overdrive gears. You'll have no problem hitting down hill speeds of 45+ mph.

The shift points for the front chainrings are when you're in 3 or 6 in the rear. Be sure to get steel chainrings. For stops going up steep hills be in 1(1) before stopping then use that as a starting gear. All other stops be in 2(3) before stopping then use that as a starting gear. Get the tachometer. Then be in a gear where the rpm is a round 7000. That's where your max HP is. If you're going way over 7000 rpm then you need to be in a higher gear. If you way under 7000 rpm then you need to be in a lower gear.

Last edited:
Back