Need lower gearing, but which gears ??

Bill P

Local time
10:02 AM
I have a Staton crank-shift kit up and running on a 21- speed MB. kit runs good but I need lower gearing and am not sure what the best approach would be. It came with a 12-tooth sprocket for the drive shaft, I changed that too a 10- tooth which helped a little, but not much. Now, I am not sure if a cassette change would do it or if a front crank set would be the way to go, seems a bit pricey really. In the advert for the kit he claims this will "go up any hill" , so I thought the lower gears ( largest front sprocket,smallest rear ) would be "granny low like ) but not even close. Any help appreciated..........:D

The stock cassette is 7-speed, 14- 28 tooth

You have it backwards. You want to run the staton gearbox to the SMALLEST FRONT SPROCKET(chainring) Then switch gears so your cassette is in the LARGEST GRANNY GEAR in the back. That will give you the lowest gear ratio. Have you used the automatic gear-ratio calculator?

Opps. You run the staton gearbox to the largest chainring, then run your running chain from the smallest front sprocket to the largest cassette gear to give you the lowest gear ratio. Try using the automatic gear ratio calculator provided by this website. I have used it and it is interesting to find out what ratio you are running.

Bone, The crankset provided by Staton has a seperate 44 t chainring then 3 others for the bike chain. The lowest gearing ie producing the most torque for hill climbing would be largest front, smallest rear, I have tried what you are suggesting, thats a high gear for top speed.

It's a very simple thing to get on and shift 3 gears to determine which is lowest, no need for calculators. I wonder if a cassette with much lower gears would do it. As it stands 17 of these 21 gears are to high to use.

On my crank shift setup, i've got a 12 T drive sprocket on my gearbox, then it runs to a driven 44T chain ring which is bolted to a 24T drive chain ring that goes to my back cassette. The largest cassette sprocket is 34t and it is my driven sprocket. This is the lowest gear ratio. If I switch my cassette to the smallest 17t of my driven sprocket then this is my highest gear. I have a Honda GX35 and I just keep my bike in the lowest gear because I like torque better than speed.

I have a 34t on the cassette too, I will try it with the small front chain ring and see !

Just returned and using small front and largest back the gearing is so high it won't start the bike from a stop. I have the same chainrings as you not sure why the disparity in results.I would like you to try the largest front and smallest rear and see what happens, when I say low gear I mean like first gear in a 5-speed manual transmission...Thanks.

Back