Gas tank placement advice?

Given my choice, I'd really rather put my tank on the downtube. Mostly because I just don't want a gas tank, or anything else, in my face while riding.

I can get it in the spot I want. And it looks okay. It needs to be tilted toward the right to clear the top tube. Tilted left is not good. Gets awfully close to the exhaust.

I'll lose a bit of tank capacity because of the angle involved. Looking at it I'm guessing it'll hold about 3/4 what it would on the top tube. I can live with that. The outlet is just about perfectly level with the fuel intake inlet port. So there'll be just a little bit of the bottom of the tank that will be too low for fuel to flow out. Very little. And that's okay, too. It'll make a sediment trap, if nothing else.

But now I've got to figure out what to do with my CDI. The first thing I tried was moving it down to where it's just in front of the cylinder. Not too bad, maybe. It'll be fairly well protected from weather and road splash. But it's pretty close to the cylinder and the exhaust. I'm wondering if heat could be a problem?

CDI near engine.jpg

Or I could mount it directly underneath the gas tank. It'll be more or less in the standard spot. It'll have its 'head' pointed downward, though. Definitely exposed to the elements. But I guess I could come up with a cover of some sort.

CDI under tank.jpg

The simplest thing would be to mount the tank over the rear wheel. But I just don't really like the look of that.

rack mount.jpg

So I'm inclined to go with the CDI under the gas tank. But I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas. Also, am I missing something? Are there any dangers to the equipment here that I'm not taking into account?

Thanks.

Oh man, does that look just like what I need.

Except maybe it's too long. But for a lousy $15.00 I might just order it and see.

Thanks, darwin. Nice find!

Back