first build, suggestions

robin russell

Local time
2:09 AM
from what I've been able to read on-sites I think I want to build 79cc Harbor Freight with SBP kit. what gearbox will make this work since SBP must be modified for 79cc motor, i have seen posts talk of this combination. any suggestions

Start with a good bike and if it is a ground up build a good frame. I built my first bike Spirit II, a 2 cycle this past spring-summer and now have 400 trouble free miles on it. I decided to switch to a 4 cycle built bike and chose a Ghost 26 from from Phantom-bikes in California. My new bike, Spirit III has already been upgraded with Cat Eye speedometer, Orion handlebars, new leather seat, taillight and tachometer. Those few changes made the bike unique and is a real show stopper. I took my first 8 mile ride Sunday in 45 degree weather and couldn't have been happier. I like the automatic shifter and regular gas, plus it is faster then my 2 cycle. I have an album on each bike on this site and a YouTube link https://www.youtube.com/user/JimConHam/videos showing both girls. I was going to add a geared rear hub with the Jack Shaft kit to my first bike, but decide that could be added anytime in the summer of 2015 to either bike if I want to make the change. Right now just happy to ride and answer questions every place I stop!! Welcome!

Q-matic makes a transfer case but it would be tricky to yse a sickbikes JS with.

Here is how the HF79 looks direct drive on a 29" Micargi Fatal Love bike and Q-Matic.

2_79ccPredL.jpg

It's a long tranny.

2_79ccPredR.jpg

I mounted the engine back as far as possible for chain tension but with a jackshaft the back of the transfer case would need to be in front of the seat tube so the engine would need to be forward.

Of course it would be silly to JS that bike as since it has no gears, but a hub change to a 3-speed would do the trick.

I saved pictures of this build when I was configuring my second bike. Nice work!!
Thanks, and with that 79cc and 29" wheels this bike didn't need gears, it gets up and goes without pedaling and will do ~40MPH.

Back