Slickbike gear change kits?

Fly1

Local time
9:16 AM
Well being new & just now finding what offered for this bikes I saw the Slickbike gear changer.
Can the ones of you that have had them for some time, give your thoughts as to how reliable
they are.
Thanks Fly

When installed correctly, they are a very reliable system, especially if purchased with the White Industries Heavy Duty freewheel bearing, as well as the left hand side chain tensioner and the right hand side chain tensioner.

My advise is to purchase the SickBikeParts deluxe Shift Kit, because it comes with a number of useful tools.

This is the White Industries Heavy Duty Freewheel Bearing, as well as other components and general setup of my shift kit:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well being new...
... Slickbike gear changer ...
... give your thoughts as to how reliable they are.
Thanks Fly
Hi Fly, welcome.
Is this your first build?

A jackshaft (shift kit) works great, but reliability is solely dependent on your mechanical skills and tools.
It is not a piece you just 'bolt on', it is box with like 50 parts that have to fit perfectly together and that requires filing and grinding.

4-stroke jackshafts are pretty easy, here are a few I have done.
http://kcsbikes.com/KCsBuilds.asp?motor=4-stroke&Drive=Yes

2-stroke jackshafts are another story.
The base of the jackshaft first attaches to the engine which is no small feat and it has to be perfect.
Here a few 2-stroke shifters I have done.
http://kcsbikes.com/KCsBuilds.asp?motor=2-stroke&Drive=Yes

In either case you have to pull your existing pedal system out, then assemble the new one and install it.

If you are new to these engines and building I suggest you just build a simple direct drive first.
If you don't like the hassle of them to begin with you aren't out weeks of frustration and a couple hundred bucks.

If ya dig 'em, cool, sell yours while it is still fairly new and look into building a shifter.

Or of course you can just dive in head first and go for it as gears change everything on a motorized bike.
Just read the instructions and don't skip steps and it will be reliable.

Sick Bike Parts

Just for the record, it is SICK Bike Parts, as in "SICK BIKE, DUDE!!"

The guys gave you some good information. I would not say the 2 Stroke kits are more difficult to install, just different. Different in the fact that just about every engine kit is different or slightly different. The filing and sanding isn't some huge part of properly building a kit. If something grossly doesn't align - HALT - something isn't right. But just cleaning up burrs and such, makes things fit better.

Anyway, don't settle for junk Chinese knock offs, which amazingly are MORE expensive than our entry level kit and are wrong on multiple levels.

Just for the record, it is SICK Bike Parts, as in "SICK BIKE, DUDE!!"
Anyway, don't settle for junk Chinese knock offs, which amazingly are MORE expensive than our entry level kit and are wrong on multiple levels.
I couldn't agree more.
Good parts + craftsmanship = A really good ride.

Back