Can a motorized bicycle make a 100 mile trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikejock

Local time
7:50 AM
I'm thinking of visiting my uncle after I get my motorized bike put together. He lives about 100 miles away. He tells me I can come visit him and he would take me back in his pickup truck with my bike in the back saving 100 miles on my engine/bike. I plan on using a 4 stroke 2 hp motor on a beach cruiser style or possibly a stretch bike. From what I've read motorized bikes 4 or 2 stroke can get an MPG of 40 to 80. So I would most likely need to make at least 1 fuel stop. Has anyone traveled 100 miles straight or more on a motorized bike without having much trouble?

Hope you have one good seat to do that with. If your not planning to run it wide open most of the time and your planning to do this off the Interstate, it might work.

I wouldn't take your first ride 100 miles but sure you can, these little 4-stroke engines are used on pumps and generators and such, start 'em up and they will run all day.

Bullet proof your wheels with heavy duty tubes and liners, take some tools, water and your cell phone along and if you get stranded your uncle can come and fetch ya.

Have a fun ride!

I asked that earlier on this forum and several people indicated they had done 100 mile trips. I would suggest taking some extra fuel, a tool kit and plan for a few hours of riding time plus cool down periods. My new 4 cycle should cut down on seat time and cool down periods and it can be fueled at any station, sadly it still needs a tool kit! I did find a retail fuel source and with a reusable can for the 2 cycle although I increase the oil mix ratio routinely. Fuel Supply.jpg
Jimmy

yeah, I agree with KCvale, the trip should be no problem if the bike has been run enough to work the bugs out

I made many 50 mile round trip commutes with a China girl motor. 100 miles shouldn't present a problem. I would stop every two hours to let the engine cool and help you recover from the vibration. Sounds like a lot of fun.

It would be prudent to use quite a bit of Lock-tite before that trip. Lots of vibration = lots of nut loosening. Sounds awesome though. Good luck.

Gobi

Sweet looking ride map! My 2 cycle uses some fuel although it is the cheapest part of owning. Hopefully the new 4 will do better! My two sons did Sydney to Alice springs over a 2 week period a couple of years ago, by car, when the younger boy was living in New Zealand. They stopped in Brisbane to try their hand at skydiving and ended with a camping trip to Ayer Rock! Great country! BTW you can check out both of bikes at www.youtube.com/user/JimConHam/videos, enjoy!
Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back