Straight Bar Whizzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

chainmaker

Local time
1:56 AM
Since selling my whizzer a couple years ago, pic below, I've been really missing it and decided to build another just like it.
7b54ff58279cbbb9d2e1cdec742906ef_zps7108e741.jpg

I had a bunch of parts from a Briggs project that the frame turned out to be suffering from fatal internal rust. I picked up a 47 H last June and sent it off to Quenton for a rebuild (will post specifics later) I finally located a solid frame and it arrived the other day. I'm at work on call at work today and made use of some shop time.

Here is the frame 1955 Schwinn before
IMG_20141128_053136_280_zpsqaalywrl.jpg

And after I blasted the frame, and Felt Abraham Linkage forks
IMG_20141128_111004_381_zpsgflcxgpl.jpg

I will be using welded in frame mounts for this one.
IMG_20141128_101648_533_zpsgzlnucai.jpg

Mounts won't be welded until right before paint because there a couple more parts that need to be welded on ( rear brake tab, seat , kickstand mount and tool box) that I need to make or haven't decided on yet.

Last edited:
That was a beautiful build and I'm sure this one will be also. Hope you and the family had a great thanksgiving.

Jim

I am not going to be able to paint until spring and I need to make custom length cables so I spent the day today putting what I have so far together to get measurements.. The front spring bar isn't installed for mock up.

IMG_20141130_143704_zpsmolitdhi.jpg

IMG_20141130_143935_810_zpshbdetsby.jpg

the wheels are 19in moped rims laced to a Sturmey Dymo drum in front and a Motobecane rear drum the tires are Deestone 2.25in. in front and 2.5in. On the rear they are speed rated for 120km - Quenton rebuilt the motor with all new -bearings, .050 piston, high lift cam, and the ports opened up and polished.

Nice bikes Chainmaker! Must have been hard to let that first one go. My current project started out similar to your first one. I decided I didn't like those reproduction Monark forks. Too cheaply made and I felt like the tire could come right off if it got a little loose. I wish I had bought some original Monark forks. Probably would have been cheaper. I still have them. I also didn't want to dish out $400 for that tank!
I have a few Questions on your current build (looks great! ) Are those really 19" rims? I'd think the bike would look lower? What length are the spokes? Is that black lever near the bottom of the front hub the brake arm? My Sturmey brake has a long arm that attaches to the fork.
I've been thinking of using some moped hubs on a future project, but on 26' rims. Keep up the great work and more details please!
Lillback44

The rims are 19 inch, but moped/motorcycle size not bicycle which include tire in the measurement. With the tire I am at about 24.5 inches,The forks aren't the common repops they are the felt ones, which were reworked by sportsman flyer if you zoom in on both bikes the difference is obvious. Sportsman welded a nice big old stud on the fork shock there is A matching hole on the brake arm and I trimmed the rest off for a clean look.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the rim size difference. The forks I was referring to are the ones on the first bike. The felt one look very nice and stronger. I have no way to zoom in on pics on this site. Hope you didn't think I was being critical. Both bikes are awesome. Curious about the carb and the spoke length?

The carb is a new Tillotson MT12A that Dennis Carpenter reproduces that Mike at Whizzer Works re-works for Whizzers. Spoke length, honestly I don't know I've had the wheels wrapped in storage for almost 2 years. I agree with you on the other monarks they are nice looking but lacking in durability.

Having this bike mocked up is great,while setting up throttle and compression cables last night I saw that there would be a bowl of spaghetti mess on the handlebars so this morning I made up some stainless cable noodles
IMG_20141204_083121_598_zpsw19g2j9u.jpg

I have had an extremely busy winter and just started getting back to this bike. Here's how she's looking, the clutch is one of Quentins new autos and I had to make a little room under the belt cover.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back