Starting a build in a few months, need advice.

I am planing on building a 4 stroke motorized bicycle sometime mid 2015. I want to use a 2015 Schwinn coffee but I am open to recommended bikes for a build. I do kinda have my heart set on the Schwinn coffee and it looks like it could be a good engine fit without being to tall for me. I am pretty short (5 feet 7 inches) so I don't want a bike that's exceedingly, uncomfortably tall like most motorized bikes seem to be. and from what I've noticed it looks like they wouldn't need that big of a frame size. just seems like more extra unneeded space and frame height. I've ridden on a motorized bike that was to tall for me and it wasn't a very comfortable ride especially during stops and red lights. What 4 stroke bike motors are legal in California and what are reliable brands? I'm looking for something in the 50cc range. (the most common size anyway) So any experts on motorized bicycle building would be appreciated.

I built a 2 cycle this year and have 400 happy miles on it, but have decided to build a 4 cycle bike. After looking at all of the parts, various bikes, engines and frames I went with a built bike at http://phantom-bikes.com . My bike is due here sometime in the next 7 days. I would encourage you to check them out, they have all of the parts, kits and several bikes already built. Mine is a Black Ghost 26, a version of the Phantom Classic bike featured by Jay Leno in one his garage videos. Sadly NBC took down all but a 50 second spot of the bike, but it still worth checking it out. I'll be posting pictures and maybe some videos of this project as I begin to make a few changes. Jay Lenos Phantom ride4.jpg I also have a very complete album of my first build on this site! Welcome to the bike world!!

I built a 2 cycle this year and have 400 happy miles on it, but have decided to build a 4 cycle bike. After looking at all of the parts, various bikes, engines and frames I went with a built bike at http://phantom-bikes.com . My bike is due here sometime in the next 7 days. I would encourage you to check them out, they have all of the parts, kits and several bikes already built. Mine is a Black Ghost 26, a version of the Phantom Classic bike featured by Jay Leno in one his garage videos. Sadly NBC took down all but a 50 second spot of the bike, but it still worth checking it out. I'll be posting pictures and maybe some videos of this project as I begin to make a few changes. View attachment 54960 I also have a very complete album of my first build on this site! Welcome to the bike world!!

Thanks. I have my eye on their 4 stroke kit at http://phantom-bikes.com . The guys at the schwinn shop told me I can come in with the engine to see if it could fit.

The Phantom bike frame is a bit bigger and longer than the frame advertised as a GT2-A, but here is a graphic of the GT2-A showing all of the dimensions you will need to check conformity with the Schwinn. Good luck!Frame 1.jpg

The Phantom bike frame is a bit bigger and longer than the frame advertised as a GT2-A, but here is a graphic of the GT2-A showing all of the dimensions you will need to check conformity with the Schwinn. Good luck!View attachment 54968

Looks good. Now that frame kinda makes me want to build a bike. Is it disk break compatible? And what size wheels should I get for it? I was thinking of getting a hydraulic disk break kit I found on amazon.

his is a 26" frame but can be used as a 24" as well. It can be ordered with pieces to handle disk brakes. The front and back can also handle drum brakes also. My bike has a drum on the front and a coaster brake on the rear. lots of choices. I have attached a picture of the Phantom frame. Have fun!Phantom frame.jpg

I bought the complete bike already assembled. I just knew from the Phantom-bike web site that you could get all components to build the bike. I grabbed the image of the frame section, with a seat post and pieces for the neck and crank housings.
Jimmy

That looks good whats that run right there for?

Looks like that frame is around $265 probably another $30-$40 in shipping fees on phantombikes.com. I'm thinking of getting a frame myself so I can build an entirely custom motorized bicycle for a much cheaper price than buying a $1,000-$2,000 prebuilt phantom bike.

Back