antivibration rubber engine mounts

southern Cruiser

Local time
12:48 PM
so I bought the rubber engine mounts that are supposed to stop the vibration by 80 percent. it seems like I had more vibration with them. It ended up breaking off the engine mount screws and had to back them out. I thought I had them cinched down pretty tight but apparently not. Has anyone else had any issues with using the rubber mounts or any ideas on how to install them better?I ended up taking them off and mounting the engine to the frame itself and using a little bit of rubber from a tire on the front mount and it is much better. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

easy answer is anything rubber in the mount will break the chain or the studs or the spokes

mount the motor with a bit of PVC and as low as possible (these days it is also easy to avoid the pre-2012 motors with the bone shaker cranks, but some of them are still being sold cheap out of New Jersey)

how can you tell if a motor is pre 2012? what is a bone shaker crank?

this is the package that I bought. I don't know who's the picture will show up or not because I'm doing this from my phone

Screenshot_2014-11-24-07-44-13.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
price is a give away here, but ad text specifically says they are the older ones from 2012 & before

the bone shaker crank is the one with the large, dark colored counterweights bolted to both sides of the crank

not horrible, as that was all we had for many years, but they do get a lot of vibration at high revs

I emailed all of those NJ guys a few months ago & specifically asked about balanced cranks - all said "not available on these models"

so for my next build what would you say is the best engine for the money? it just seems like when you look at all of the different websites that have engines they all look like the same package what's different stickers slapped on them. I am still very new at this whole motorized bike world but I love it.

for most sellers, ordering 2 kits may get you 2 diff motors since they sell what they can get

I've been getting kits from "http://stores.ebay.com/sashawigs2009/" lately, and used to get them from "http://stores.ebay.com/rose326a/" - look around the board & I think you'll see many folks using their kits.

Rubber mounting the engine does not reduce vibration if the bicycle by itself weighs the same or weighs less than the weight of the engine.

Use 5 layers of duct tape to protect the frame so that vibration does not abrade away the paintwork and then abrade away the frame itself.

Use 5 layers of duct tape to protect the frame so that vibration does not ... abrade away the frame itself.

That might be relevant on an aluminum bike but I can't imagine an aluminum engine abrading a steel frame to any measurable degree.

look around the various forums to see a whole bunch o' pics of frames snapped right at the motor mounts

Back